AmpliFi Alien Firmware v3.5.1

• AmpliFi Alien firmware version 3.5.1 has been released.
    Release notes:

• Resolved issue with Wi-Fi 6 client steering

We use a gradual rollout for the update. It may take up to a week for your device to receive this update.

AmpliFi Alien Firmware Release Notes

• Updated a few hours ago. Update seems stable. I turned off any «enhancements», so I can’t say anything regarding WiFi6 client steering fix it’s working or not.

• Installation went smoothly. I am curious when we skipped the Beta testing phase on this release. Testing commences now.
    Builtin Speed test on 1.2Gbps connection as usual, 400's 432.2 / 41.4

These are not particular indicators of problems, as local Radio interference on adjacent networks, as well as server traffic can effect outcome. I find lately that speedtest.net is performing most consistently. The performance noted below is pretty good IMO.

testmy.net 586.3 / 37.5
    speedof.me 637.5 / 37.35
    speedtest.net 693.87 / 40.79

Let's see how things go from here.

Update 6 hours in, no real change that I can see, the system is unable to maintain it's 1201 connection on Receive side reliably. Now, it was able to do it in the past, think Beta RC4 is about when things went south. It's still connected, works ok, etc. but there is simply no reason to not be able to hold that speed at less than 15 feet, as it did in the past.

• I don't why this is happening, but on my AT&T Fiber 1000 connection, I get a strange speed result. I have separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz (WI-FI 5 & WI-FI 6) SSIDs. On my iPhone 12 Pro Max, I get results like this on WIFI 6:

Speedtest.net -- 239 Mbps down / 612 Mbps up.

WIFI 5:

Speedtest.net -- 483 Mbps down / 535 Mbps up.

Any suggestions on what I can tune?

• Update went quickly with no issues. It will take time to see if there is any improvement in WiFi 6 steering as it was an occasional issue for me on certain devices.
    Speeds seem consistent to before running 1Gbps Fiber, but results vary widely by server selected.
    Using the AmpliFi iOS beta App:
    ISP to Alien Main and Alien Bridge unit: On average 1100 up / 700 down
    Alien to my device (iPhone): On average 500 up / 650 down
    5 Feet from router:
    Speedtest.net on WiFi 6 iPhone: On average 600 up / 450 down
    Speedtest.net on WiFi 5 iPhone: On average 510 up / 380 down

• @Brian-Scarbrough I would start with legacy 2.4Ghz devices (like IoT devices). There's a tips and tricks article I posted a while back, which might be worth reviewing as a start. More than likely there is something clobbering the performance, and I would start with legacy 2.4 devices.

• @jbenja6460 Question on your units, are you on Ethernet backbone mesh, or wireless mesh?

• First off, I don't have any 2.4 Ghz clients connected to the Alien. I do have another ASUS router in the house handling the 2.4 Ghz traffic. The question to the backhaul to the other mesh point is CAT6 ethernet.

• Any suggestions on what I can tune?

Hi @Brian-Scarbrough - now that you can manually select the upper 5.8GHz band channel, have you checked if any particular channel is better for the 802.11ax WiFi-6 radio in your environment than what ‘auto’ is selecting?

• @unseenone I’m on Ethernet backbone. Originally was wireless but system wasn’t as stable ... too much switching of devices causing drops for some devices with or without the advanced features enabled.

• This post is deleted!

• @metalbender reboot your unit

• @Edward-Dolezal Thanks, done. Not sure why it took so long, but the fan is working now, seems to be running smoothly overall. Still looking good on the memory, 4% less than it's usual 45%, but then again I'm the only one awake in the house right now

• @metalbender 145F is normal for the unit to be targeting. In the winter time the fans run at 0 and in the summer they ramp up to maintain 145F.

43-45% mem usage seems to be normal on the v3.5.x firmware as well.

• @Derek-Saville I have adjusted the channels for wifi 6, 2.4, and 5 ghz with little difference. I have a separate SSID for Wifi 6 5 ghz, 2.4 wifi 6 and a 3rd for 5Ghz. The 2.4 ghz channel is set on channel 1, 20 MHz bandwidth but I don't have any clients on it. The Wifi 6 5 Ghz channel is on 149 with 80 MHz bandwidth. 5 Ghz channel is 48 with 80 Mhz bandwidth. I have band steering turned on and router steering turned off. I have ethernet backhaul to the mesh point. I am using OpenDNS for my primary/sec DNS servers. UPNP is enabled. IPv6 is disabled. Bridge mode is disabled. I am connected to my AT&T BGW210 residential gateway via IP Passthrough to the Alien router. I have no port forwarding rules. I have 33 devices on the network. Only 6 are wireless. Everything else is ethernet. I have two iphones that support Wi-Fi 6. Everything else is 5 Ghz Wifi 5.

It seems to me that the download speeds are blocked at around 250 mbps on Wi-Fi 6. Uploads are off the chart.

I can switch to WiFi 5 and the overall performance is better.

I have disabled privacy mode on my iphone 12 pro max so that I'm not using a private address.

I think that covers everything.

Switching to Netflix test I get 430 down/650 up.

• @Brian-Scarbrough Absolutely the same configuration regarding WiFi SSIDs and channels except that I have only one main device. But all «enhancements» are turned off. Absolutely the same picture. Only 5GHz WiFi5 band working well, WiFi6 absolutely useless with 120-140 Mbs speeds for ANY device connected. But Wifi5 dedicated SSID have very weak connection with less than 50% within two metres around. Waiting for replacement, let’s see if something changes.

• Hi @Brian-Scarbrough - that pretty much covers it...

Have you taken the 27 wired clients offline to try and isolate the WiFi testing?

Taken your Alien MeshPoint offline and tested with only the main Alien router?

Generated a Support Info file from the web UI (to cover both units) after multiple testing runs and asked AmpliFi for an analysis?

Could be an antenna issue since the WiFi-5 & WiFi-6 radios use different ports...so I personally would return it or start the RMA process and have it replaced

• The Wifi 6 5 Ghz channel is on 149 with 80 MHz bandwidth

Hi @Brian-Scarbrough - if you drop the bandwidth and test with 40 MHz and 20 MHz, how do the throughput results compare?

Is there a corresponding linear drop in performance?

• @jbenja6460 Understand the benefits of Speedtest.net, but it might be good to also try using iperf3 to take a few things out of the equation (internet latency/inconsistencies with speedtest servers, Alien QoS, etc.)

You can run it in "server" mode on a Windows laptop or Raspberry Pi is a great option (it is critical whatever device you use as the server is using ethernet). Then grab the iperf3 client from the iOS app store. Run 5 streams against the server and see what kind of throughput you get.

• @mdcraig Thanks for the suggestion. I'll take a look and give it a try ... I have both Raspberry Pi and Windows laptop.