Enable USB port

• When will the USB port be enabled, so it could be used as a Apple Airport Time Machine or NAS?

• @rob-heeren I seem to have brought this issue up a number of times already but nobody from Amplifi is commenting Sorry if I had know I could’ve saved some money and bought a different system.

• Any ETA for the USB port. Most traditional routers have multiple USB ports. I need to use an external hard drive.

• @rob-heeren This has been an issue for me. I opted for a different system for a second residence because of the lack of this being added. I think that if it hasn't already been added, it wont be.

• I guess this is not a priority at all right? No updates in a couple of months 😞 I might need to go to a different solution as well.

• @marco-bicca so let me get this right.. you would go for another solution just because of a simple usb port so you can hook up a probly usb drive and share files ?

why not get a nas ?

let the ubnt crew take their time and figure out what it should be used for besides hooking up a drive which is really not an priority. Getting bugs in the software is an priority.

• @peter-skopa well, I already have a NAS with Unraid, yes it would be nice to make that USB port useful like it is in pretty much ALL routers out there and there are lots of people asking about it, that's all.

• @marco-bicca well all in due time right now there is a whole other bunch of issues that needs addressing then a simple usb port..

• So now that it has been 10 months and all those issues were resolved can we enable the USB port??

• @blake-nicole-barnhouse they probably won't do it till stabilise the apple devices that are having issues with msdu.

• Any developer reading this ? Years of "for future use" is really bad style.

Give your custumers an answer !

• @tobias-süling I was told the reason is confidential as to why the haven't enabled it, but as I have already speculated I believe it's to do with some sort of recovery function or debug.

• Hello @tobias-süling, This has been answered in other threads like this one here: https://community.amplifi.com/topic/1129/activation-usb-port-for-nas-support/4

As of right now, the USB port will not be enabled and is not currently on our future release plans.

• @ubnt-brett said in Enable USB port:

As of right now, the USB port will not be enabled and is not currently on our future release plans.

I know that this is not news, as it we have been told this repeatedly. This is such an important feature I can't understand why it is not at least "in the pipeline".

Can we please be told why this is the case?

NJSS

• @nigel-steward because apple devices are having issues with the msdu settings and WiFi in general and needs to be fixed first, before they can work on that, or that is what I gather form the comments.

• USB is a so important feature? For what? A slow backup/nas solution? Just buy a cheap NAS/network hd if you need that or sell the amplifi router and buy something else if that is a so important feature on a router.

Let Amplifi focus on the router/wireless functions and performance. They have not advertised the USB port to be used for hdd storage etc. Only thing in spec was for "future use."

• @dennis-horn Well said!

Personally I wish they had never included it in the device. Also access to future plans for a device is usually only available via Non Disclosure Agreement. Years ago I worked for a large computer manufacturer and they used them with large customers in competitive situations. Even if they know future directions of a product, support people cannot give out that information. If they do they are putting their jobs in jeopardy.

• @dennis-horn said in Enable USB port:

USB is a so important feature? For what? A slow backup/nas solution? Just buy a cheap NAS/network hd if you need that or sell the amplifi router and buy something else if that is a so important feature on a router.
    Let Amplifi focus on the router/wireless functions and performance. They have not advertised the USB port to be used for hdd storage etc. Only thing in spec was for "future use."

I personally don't care, but for some people cost is a perceived or actual concern, and to be able to plug in already owned USB drive versus purchasing a new and separate networked HDD is a convenience

The misinformation was spread during some of the initial product reviews which claimed inside information that AmpliFi was working on USB drive access as a "future use" purpose - and maybe AmpliFi were at the time

So even though USB will never happen, the requests for USB will never stop happening either...

• The only time the requestes will stop wis when they enable it and sadly they still won't be happy about it the. The complaints will pour in about preformace, I'd love to see it enabled just so I can plus in a flash drive or a small HDD for quick access when my PC USB is being a pain or because my lap top has only a few USB ports.

• Here is an example of an online review that falsely reports a working USB port on an AmpliFi HD...

First, the AmpliFi HD...there’s a USB 2.0 port that can be used for sharing printers and storage devices across your network...

There is probably too much false information out there to ever stop the requests...

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.