Usage with Starlink to monitor service

• I am based in the UK and have Starlink but unfortunately for me I am using it at a different address to the registered address. Which means I have very unreliable service.

I have purchased an Alien as I wanted an easy way to see what the network is doing by just having a quick glance at the screen but also having the app.

What I would like to do is get it to run regular speed tests automatically and show me the connection reliability etc.

Is this possible? Thanks.

• @Oliver-K said in Usage with Starlink to monitor service:

I am based in the UK and have Starlink

That's the first time I've ever read that phrase "in the wild!" So, what do you think of Mr. Musk's assault on the astronomers? (Actually I have no idea how much of a problem that really is.

What's the performance like? How's the latency? Do you expect that adding more six-pack sized satellites will increase performance, or just the percentage of the globe covered by the service.

Apologies for the off topic questions, but you probably have valuable opinions for those of us dealing with earthbound ISPs.

• Happy to answer but I am not the best person because I have Starlink in the wrong place!

Essentially Starlink is in beta now - and they have what they call “cells” which are 10-15 mile hexagon areas that they use to provide service on beta.

In the UK for example there are around 50 active cells; and 10 that open and close depending on availability. Each satellite transmits to that particular cell and if your not in the cell you don’t get onto the beta or get good service.

In my case I ordered to an address in a live cell but had to leave and decided to keep the setup and see it works. So for me its very unreliable due to being out of cell.

It isn’t meant to be used out of cell and Starlink would happily take it back but my tech/gadget loving side is willing to keep it until my cell opens or it becomes available everywhere (because I figure I will have it quicker that way!).

In terms of performance for those in active cells - it is always changing - latency is around 20ms now (and even I get that out of cell) and speeds have been seen on average of 300 down and 30 up. There are variations. Some people will get slower. Some will get faster. And it will change as Starlink improves their firmware and software on the dishes and the satellites and as the constellation of satellites increases (in fact there was a launch of another 60 satellites today you can watch on YouTube on the SpaceX channel).

The idea is that those satellites actually fill in the gaps on the globe. Not add more of them to speed up performance. It seems performance gains come from the number of ground stations connected to the internet and the software.

As for the astronomers I understand them being annoyed but this is a game changer.

People in the middle of nowhere are getting unheard of speeds even now where they had no options.

And Elon has said Starlink is capable of gigabit speeds.

There is a great Starlink subreddit if your interested in seeing more real world information or just do a search on YouTube.

I have set up the Alien and connected it to the Starlink but I’d like to know if there is any way to set up a static route so I can see the dish connection stats which are at 192.168.100.1 on the Starlink router that I have disconnected. I read that static routes aren’t possible on the Alien but it does mention static routing with a mac address which I am unclear if its the same thing - and I have no idea what the mac of the dish even is.

• @Oliver-K said in Usage with Starlink to monitor service:

The idea is that those satellites actually fill in the gaps on the globe. Not add more of them to speed up performance. It seems performance gains come from the number of ground stations connected to the internet and the software.

Is an individual ground-based client receiving service relayed by other clients based on the ground, or is each client communicating directly with a cluster of microsatellites?

Thanks for your prompt response.

• @jsrnephdoc the dishes that customers use can only connect to one satellite at a time currently; Space X are working on software updates to allow them to swap satellites if signal becomes poor. And there are plans to allow the next generation of dish to connect to multiple sats at the same time.

In terms of how it is being relayed; the idea is there are many, many ground stations in each country. Obviously the US has the most right now. I think there are maybe 3 in the whole of Europe which needs working on.

Right now if I am in the UK and I request or send data it goes up to the satellite and down to my nearest ground station which potentially creates capacity issues if there is only a small handful of them and many customers however SpaceX are also launching sats with direct laser links between them to allow them to transfer data even faster between the sats and to pass them along to ground stations.

Now keep in mind this is my basic understanding of it - there are going to be more knowledgable people if you check out the subreddit on this.