Expand Amplifi with Ethernet Backhaul solution - Without physical connection to router

• Re: Ethernet backhaul

I've been using the AmpliFi HD WiFi system with a router and 6 mesh end points.

When I look at the compatibility list I can see it is compatible with AFiR and AFi-P-HD are both compatible with AFi-INS, but AFi-HD isn't.

I would like to extend the network to the garage (marked with no wifi below), which is:

• Too far for Wifi Connection (can't add a mesh end point)

• Too far to wire an ethernet cable all the way from the main router which is in the exact opposite end of the house.

Meaning, I need to connect a mesh end point via ethernet to an extension in the garage.

Obviously the mesh points don't have an ethernet backhaul and I don't feel like replacing the entire system for this purpose.

Is there anything I can connect to expand the network? For example can I have AFi-INS connect wirelessly to an AFi-P-HD end point and wire a cable between those 2 points? Any other suggestions?

0_1618866012543_amplifi.png

• Without distance, construction material, and so on, hard to predict what might work. You've said you can run an ethernet cable to the garage, yet, if I read your post correctly, you can from the closest point of the house; is that correct? If so, I think you could add an Instant router at the closest point of the house to the garage, then add another Instant in the garage. Hope this makes sense. Perhaps you could add more info?

• Thank you @Matthew-Leeds , you understood correctly.
    You are saying that the instant router should work with the mesh point?
    I can't connect the instant router to the internet via wire. I CAN connect the garage and the corner of the house via an ethernet cable.

i.e. you are suggesting:
    0_1618874994515_Amplifi2.png

Is this a supported configuration? (with the instant router getting to the internet via a mesh point).

• Hi @iddoav - if possible (considering cost, resources, etc.) this configuration would work well...
    0_1618877325471_Option.jpg

HD-to-HD is better for a wireless connection due to the antenna and processing performance being matched

But if you can use Ethernet backhaul in the primary home, then a standalone Instant should work well

• Is this a supported configuration? (with the instant router getting to the internet via a mesh point).

Hi @iddoav - the configuration is supported, but the standalone Instant can be set up as a wireless mesh point, replacing the existing MeshPoint

• Thank you @Derek-Saville.
    Unfortunately it is unrealistic to wire the house itself.

So if I read your suggestions correctly. you offer 2 options.

Option 1 (better performance, due to antenna and processing performance being matched):
    0_1618878653680_AmplifiOption1.png

Option 2 (a bit less expensive but supported as well):
    0_1618878697646_AmplifiOption2.png

Is that correct? I will most probably go with option 1 and update on process 🙂

• Is that correct?

Hi @iddoav - yes, that is correct, and option 1 should have advantages for the wireless backhaul segment to the main router

• @iddoav Yes, and as Derek has pointed out, using a new HD would give you better wireless connectivity to the existing unit and it as opposed to using an Instant, but at a higher initial cost.

I'd advise purchasing spare power supplies for all units; at least one of each type. They are often hard to come by when you need them.

If that ethernet cable to the garage is exposed, you might consider using outside rated cable.

• @Matthew-Leeds said in Expand Amplifi with Ethernet Backhaul solution - Without physical connection to router:

@iddoav Yes, and as Derek has pointed out, using a new HD would give you better wireless connectivity to the existing unit and it as opposed to using an Instant, but at a higher initial cost.

Thank you @Matthew-Leeds and @Derek-Saville !
    One last question - since the price difference is not astronomic; Will there be an advantage of using only AmpliFi HD routers (i.e. connect 2 Amplifi HD routers with an ethernet cable - one in the edge of the house as a mesh point and the other in the garage. And not use instant at all).

• @iddoav Here's what Derek said earlier regarding that, "Option 1 (better performance, due to antenna and processing performance being matched)"

Good luck with the project.

• Hi @iddoav - the HD has a faster processor and a 3 polarity 3x3 MIMO higher gain antenna, theoretically providing better coverage, and is the best option for matched wireless backhaul

It is impossible for us to say if it will make a difference in your garage
    If the garage space is wide open, it probably won't matter much and may not worth the extra ~$50 if cost is a decision factor

If there is potential interference and/or you want better coverage around the garage space, then you have to decide if it is worth the extra cash

If the WiFi coverage of the house and garage are not going to overlap, or if you don't care if the garage is "meshed" with the house, you have the other option of installing a UniFi AP in the garage

For the roughly the same cost as an Instant you could get a UAP-6 Lite...
    https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-wireless/products/unifi-ap-6-lite

They can be installed in "Standalone Mode" with very limited basic functionality using the UniFi app if you need simplicity...
    https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047417733

Or just run the UniFi controller software on a PC/Laptop to set it up once and forget it if you want more advanced features
    The controller doesn't need to remain running for the access point to work

I personally would go the standalone UAP route for a single access point installation like you are contemplating

• @Derek-Saville said in Expand Amplifi with Ethernet Backhaul solution - Without physical connection to router:

mpossible for us to say if it will make a difference in your garage
    If the garage space is wide open, it probably won't matter much and may not worth the extra ~$50 if cost is a decision factor
    If there is potential interference and/or you want better coverage around the garage space, then you have to decide if it is worth the extra cash

HI Guys,

Updating for the sake of documentation.
    I ended up purchasing 2 new HD routers, the setup was extremely straight forward.
    After adding the new routers as mesh points, for the first hour or so the system went offline a couple of times. It looked like it needed some time to settle down. I also had to upgrade the firmware of the new routers of course.
    Right now it all seems like it is working.

0_1619034821414_networkTopo.png

0_1619035452125_IMG_5975.png

Thank you for your help!