Notification when router randomly reboots/restarts

• My Amplifi Alien has spontaneously rebooted three times since I've purchased it. The only way I know it's happened is the speed test results are no longer displayed on the Alien's display. Because of this, I've gotten into the habit of always doing a speed test so I can tell when it's rebooted, but it'd be much better there was a notification.

A mobile push notification from the app would better and more timely. Then I could send a support file just moments after it occurred. Sometimes I don't notice the speed test results are missing until days later and it's too late to send support the system support file.

BTW, a user-facing system log would be nice too, but the notification would be a good start.

• @Uhl said in Notification when router spontaneiously reboots/restarts:

My Amplifi Alien has spontaneously rebooted three times since I've purchased it. The only way I know it's happened is the speed test results are no longer displayed on the Alien's display.

The AmpliFi app on its home screen in iOS states your uptime (mine says 27 days, 4 hours at the moment. Do you not see this? Of course, that won't tell you if it's rebooted multiple times, and I don't know how easy it is to retrieve that information.

• @jsrnephdoc said in Notification when router randomly reboots/restarts:

Do you not see this?

Yes, but that doesn't help this scenario.

Am I supposed to open the Amplifi app every day or hour, just to check whether it has rebooted? Sorry but I have better things to do with my time.

That's why this is a request for a push notification. One that alerts me the minute the router is back up so I can contact support and send in a support file.

Actually, it'd be even better if the router automatically sent the support file to Amplifi whenever there's an unexpected restart.

Or an even better solution is to fix the random reboots!

• @Uhl said in Notification when router randomly reboots/restarts:

Am I supposed to open the Amplifi app every day or hour, just to check whether it has rebooted? Sorry but I have better things to do with my time.

Sorry, I misunderstood your initial post, wherein you said you had no way of knowing whether the AmpliFi Alien had rebooted other than seeing that its LED screen no longer displayed a screen test result.

Your response suggests you spend more time with your Alien Display than you do with your phone. Yesterday I read that the average smartphone user touches it 1217 times per day. Sounds like a bogus statistic to me, but I can go days, even weeks without looking at my Alien's screen, and although I don't check it daily, I know I look at the Alien app more often than I look at its screen.

Given that it's an anomaly, a reboot-triggered push notification might be a good thing, but I have no idea whether the Alien has the firmware or hardware to do that. My guess is it could be coded in, but I certainly don't KNOW that.

• Amplifi support seems to think it's a good idea as they're the ones who told me to post it:

Yes, I agree with your suggestion on the notification. I request you to post this suggestion on our community pages the developers can see if this can be added in the future.

A router is just a specialized computer so given enough time and resources, anything is possible…lol. 😆