Update On Future New Features That Would Be Good To See

• I have posted here before about suggestions for future updates, but thought of another that would be very handy.

• Being able to see the WAN IP address within the app
    • When a guest is connected, being able to see them in Devices and marked as guest
    • The ability to make a device (e.g. a printer) accessible on the guest network
    • WPA3 support
    • Teleport app for OS Mac and Windows, so you can connect a laptop to the router when away
    • Notification if the router goes offline
    • (New suggestion) The ability to limit guests to a lower speed than the main network (e.g. I have 900/100 and I would like guests to only receive 100/20)

• Being able to see the WAN IP address within the app

Hi @ibdnetworking - isn't the public WAN IP address and gateway listed on the diagnostics tab in the app?

• The gateway address is, but not the IP address.

The only way to find the IP address is either on the display on the front of the unit or to run a speed test online. It would be nice for the IP address to be visible in the app.

• Hi @ibdnetworking - that is strange...the pubic WAN IP address has always appeared for me in the app here:
    0_1620809964264_diag.jpg

Maybe it is an iOS vs Android app difference?

• I am using iOS and the IP address is not visible like yours. Also I am connected via PPPoE, could have something to do with it.

It is a shame that the display on the unit has the information, but not the app.

• Hi @ibdnetworking - I am also using iOS and the screenshot above is from a PPPoE site

I just checked 3 other sites, including Aliens, an HD, DHCP mode and Bridge mode, and all of them reported the WAN IP address, both public and local in the case of Bridge mode

That one is really hard to explain why you are not being shown the WAN address

I used to need this as well while remote for making direct connections over the last 4 years, so I can totally understand your frustration if it isn't being displayed

• I can't explain it either. I am not using Bridge Mode as I am connected to the modem without another router in the line.

• @Derek-Saville said in Update On Future New Features That Would Be Good To See:

Hi @ibdnetworking - isn't the public WAN IP address and gateway listed on the diagnostics tab in the app?

Just one more datapoint. The WAN IP address shows up in the iOS app for me.

I've not thought about this before, but how about a datafield for user-entered information; e.g., I have not the slightest recollection of why I've chosen the DNS addresses I have entered. I know different people have told me different addresses to use in the past, and the ability to record WHY I'm using the DNS servers I am would be a nice addition.

• Just chiming in to confirm what others have said already. I have the Alien router and the app on iOS and can find the WAN IP address in at least two places in the app. You can find it on the Diagnostics page, like has already been mentioned, and also here:

Open Amplifi iOS app -> Select the Alien router -> Select "Internet" -> Look for "IP Address", which is the WAN IP address

• Open Amplifi iOS app -> Select the Alien router -> Select "Internet" -> Look for "IP Address", which is the WAN IP address

Just to add, this is true for DHCP and Static modes, but is not the case for PPPoE mode where the fields are replaced by the Username and Password settings

I know it was requested a long long time ago, but it would still be nice to be able to copy information from the Diagnose tab in the app, such as the WAN address and the Gateway address, to the clipboard so you don't have to manually retype it all of the time...and no, I won't hold my breath either

• @ibdnetworking said in Update On Future New Features That Would Be Good To See:

• Notification if the router goes offline

If the router goes offline, what would send the notification, and via what connectivity? I think we may have a chicken and egg situation here. Generally this stuff is handled externally via a watchdog service in the cloud that would notify when it can no longer reach/ping a given address.

• Hi @Matthew-Leeds - couldn't the AmpliFi Cloud service accommodate this?

• @Derek-Saville I imagine this could be an added service, however as I've never used the AmpliFi Cloud Service I've no idea. It would be fairly easy to implement, open a port on the router, if the cloud service can't reach it, send an email/txt to a selected address. Trivial to implement, no marginal cost to speak of (depending on number of subscribers and frequency of checks). Don't know if the cloud service is appropriately resilient, but I suspect it would need to be. This stuff was part of my bread and butter back in the day, but that was then... I mostly set SLA's, high level design (meaning, this has to work), and let the engineers handle the implementations. The sticky stuff is multi-colo or multi-cloud implementations, with state maintained between them. You want an active-active design and not a failover as that's when you find it doesn't failover but rather just fails. You also (although for this kind of thing capacity is not likely to be a gating issue) want to insure that when one site in your active-active pair fails, that you don't suddenly find yourself subscribed at over 100% capacity. There's more to it, but that's the basics. Oh yeah, each site monitors the other so you've got to watch for race conditions as you don't want things ping-ponging up and down or claiming mastership when that's not needed.

• Hi @Matthew-Leeds - to my knowledge the AmpliFi cloud backend is only used for remote management and establishing Teleport connections

Not sure if the routers phone their mothership if Remote Management is disabled and no Teleport connection enabled

Since we can already see the online / offline status in the Switch AmpliFi menu with Remote Management enabled it doesn’t seem it would be difficult to push a notification to the app when a router goes offline

It’s useful to know for R2R Teleporting when one endpoint goes offline and you might need to take action while you are away

• Morning everyone, seemed to have opened a can of worms here.

Here are a couple of screenshots from the app, no IP address visible. I am using PPPoE with no bridge mode. Maybe it is not possible in this mode.

On the basis of notifications, I am using the cloud management facility so it should be able to ping the router every few minutes or so and inform if it cannot connect.

0_1620887529862_IMG_1411.PNG

0_1620887536327_IMG_1412.PNG

• seemed to have opened a can of worms here.

Hi @ibdnetworking - no can of worms, similar requests have been going on for years, people just want to help you out where possible

I am using PPPoE with no bridge mode. Maybe it is not possible in this mode.

This is the exact mode I am using now and it works (see screen shot I posted earlier) directly connected to the modem using PPPoE
    However, I have IPv6 disabled at this location with PPPoE
    If you are willing to test and temporarily disabled IPv6 to see if the address is then reported you could report it as a bug

• Well found Derek. With IPv6 turned off the IP address is visible, must just be a bug in the app. This is surely easily fixable.