Slow internet speeds over wifi but an iperf shows local network speeds are decent?

• Hi all, hoping someone might be able to help me troubleshoot this. I dont have the best connection here, the fastest available to me is 75Mb down. When I perform an ISP speedtest on the Amplifi app I can see that I am getting the full 75Mb however I cant get faster than 35Mb reliably on wifi, usually its sitting closer to 25Mb. When I run an iperf it shows that the connection between the devices is actually capable of closer to 200Mb. Is there any reason why the Alien is not able to pass the full 75Mb over wifi when there is plenty of room for that in my local bandwidth?

• There is a high degree of variability in Internet speed tests. I'd suggest trying the one at Measurement Lab. https://speed.measurementlab.net/#/

As to your iperf testing, what device was the running the server mode and what device was running the client mode?

• @Matthew-Leeds said in Slow internet speeds over wifi but an iperf shows local network speeds are decent?:

There is a high degree of variability in Internet speed tests. I'd suggest trying the one at Measurement Lab. https://speed.measurementlab.net/#/

I'm always open to something new, so I followed the link, where I was told their test is not compatible with the Safari browser. Given Apple's (welcome) obsession with privacy, that makes me curious…

• @jsrnephdoc Interesting. I searched, on my iPhone, using Safari, for Measurement Labs and used their NDT Test; that works. Using the link I provided (which came from my PC) did not work on the iPhone. Should of tested before posting, my apology. Could of sworn it worked the first time. Equally interesting, searching from Safari on my iPhone for 'Speed Test' bring a first search result of 'Internet Speed Test' with text that states it's run by Measurement Labs. This presents a different interface than the NDT Test. This test completes the download portion, then does the upload portion which provides a result but seems to hang. Each of these two tests gives different results. Go figure.