Ability to turn off DHCP server.

• @markus-ullmark Currently I don't have any information on whether or not this feature will or will not be implemented and when. However, I can say that we are constantly listening to our customers and implementing new features continually so check future release notes for updates!

• @ui-brett Hi there, Brett. Have to say that I’m also a subscriber of that request. So, +1 here

• +1 to this request

I don't mind that you have a DHCP server, but I run PiHole DNS and want to specify it as the DNS all of my DHCP clients use. I didn't expect this to be an issue when I purchased the router; I had been using Ubiquiti's Edgemax router and it was phenomenal, but I wanted the Teleport's simple solution to tunneling. I had assumed that since Amplifi was now part of Ubiquiti, the feature-set would have been similar.

With that said, I would expect A LOT more control over my network since I am using a dedicated router. If I were to rate the product, this would take it from 5 stars to 3 stars.

• @adam-marlowe specifying (forcing) the Pi-Hole as a DNS for your network clients can be achieved easily by going to your Amplify router, Internet and there you have the option to either use your ISP DNS or specify the IP address of your Pi-Hole. Just make sure you have the Pi set as a static IP (also in Amplify router, (Advanced) DHCP Server, Static Leases.

HTH,
    V.

• I had been using Ubiquiti's Edgemax router and it was phenomenal, but I wanted the Teleport's simple solution to tunneling.

Hi @adam-marlowe - would the possibility of running the AmpliFi router in Bridge mode behind the Edgemax give you the best of both worlds?

• I second the opinion that more control of the DHCP feature is required. Control of DHCP settings offered to clients and control of feature on/off.

• Hi @Patrick-Winnem ... I do understand the need of more control over the network, as you've stated earlier.
    What I do notice is the fact that people tend to misunderstand the purpose of the AmpliFi products on the market (in the eyes of Ubiquity at least): the AmpliFi range of products is meant to serve the non-tech users (take for example your parents, elders etc), for which you install the product and they'll just use it as it is (or as designed).
    Or, even some tech savvy people who don't want/have time to dig deeper into and only need their Internet connection to work!
    Should you need something on which you have/must/need to have more granular control over, then move over to another range of their product line (and they have a lot to choose from).
    Ok, the price range differ, but we always have a choice, isn't it? Keep it simple and it just work as designed or go into "details", price range goes upper.
    I don't want to go into a debate of vendors and topics like "yeah, but X provide this simple method to do Y" ... buy that product for instance and enjoy it 🙂
    Don't take my words wrongly, it's just an outside observation 😉

Cheers,
    V.

• IMHO you can have both. If you as you mention setup for parents or people with out the desire to get in the nuts and bolts then fine. But those who want more granular control should have a access point that as a device admin can access for more settings. You don't hobble everyone to satisfy those who don't or won't access to start with.

• I think that the price should reflect the features they offer. It’s getting better with updates, but we are still on a long run.

• After many conversations with AmpliFi support, it doesn't appear that they have any interest in allowing us to disable the DHCP Server or choosing the proper subnet mask for the classes of IP addresses.

Class - A subnet mask is NOT 255.255.255.0
    HOWEVER!
    Class A subnet mask IS 255.0.0.0

This isn't coming from an unknown source. It's RFC standards.

Second, what residential grade router doesn't let you disable the DHCP server? I asked about the Alien and it's the exact same. Telling users that you really don't care what they think isn't what someone wants to hear when dumping almost $1000 on your residential equipment. When the Dream Machine costs a fraction of that, it's just obvious that Ubiquiti doesn't care.

If there isn't a way to alter the firmware, maybe someone can give me a better way to not have this in bridge mode, lock the DHCP server out and still be able to access features that are not accessable in bridge mode.

I spent an afternoon trying to do this but didn't get anywhere.

• ...maybe someone can give me a better way to not have this in bridge mode, lock the DHCP server out and still be able to access features that are not accessable in bridge mode.

Hi @Tony-B - I wouldn't describe it as "better" but back when the Guest Network was not available in Bridge mode, some people put a jumper Ethernet cable between the WAN & LAN sides of the AmpliFi router, ran the network to the LAN side, and then gave AmpliFi DHCP server only a single address in the allowable range (Start & End) to give out

I don't recall all of the exact details - some people said "one address" and some "two addresses"

Since the Router takes abc.def.xyz.1 they might of set the range to '2' (instead of '1') and had to make a dummy static reserved IP for abc.def.xyz.2 to a non-existent device in order to avoid that IP address being given out

And you have to blend it in to the range of the rest of your network, enable Bypass DNS Cache, etc.

So pretty messy, and that was quite a few firmware releases ago, so not sure if anything has changed

But it did work to effectively shut down the DHCP server in DHCP mode and still allowed the DHCP features at the time...at the cost of LAN ports

• Now that I have read through your post about 5 times, the more I think about it, that actually could work.

Give the Router a static address of 10.0.0.x and define all my gateway and DNS info. Then create a DHCP for 10.0.1.2-10.0.1.3…(you MUST HAVE 2 addresses to reserve). One would be the wan port reservation, the other would be a dummy.

Connect a second LAN port to my switch and try that?

• Hi @Tony-B - yes, I believe some people just ran 2 Ethernet cables from a switch to the AmpliFi WAN and a LAN port

If you search the forum way back for getting the guest network to work in pseudo bridge mode you can find a few success stories

Eventually AMPLIFI enabled the Guest network in Bridge mode so the discussion became moot as that was the feature most people were after

• I found the best solution in this thread, almost the bottom post for future readers that are upset that Ubiquiti won't do a thing about this.

• Well.. there you go.. I guess ubiquiti shot straight past its target of keeping things simple on this one. Side note: this is not a 'cheap' appliance so the argument that you shouldn't expect more from it does not fly for me.

I still believe a granular setup with more configurable options depending on user 'role' (ie a switch for configuration level from basic to expert). Love the product though.. wish it wouldn't check for internet connectivity so stupidly often with google though..

• @Virgil-Nicolae I don't have a problem with your opinion, but I disagree. The price point and the brand suggests that it should indeed give the user access to all relevant settings, as others have pointed out these can be hidden from the default GUI.

I'm at the point where I might just sell the Amplifi and either get an Edgerouter+APs or get something completely different like a Mikrotik.. Fortunately I'm not that heavily invested yet but I'm moving to a larger house soon where I need multiple APs..
    I can't see any good reason why the DHCP control is disabled for users, making us having to resort to hacky workarounds to accomplish this..

• I agree. Or, for the real savvy, make the firmware open source. The AmpliFi HD development looks as if it's over, open the firmware up and let us decide what to do with our $320-600 bricks.

To the people that are buying Aliens with this same shortcoming, paying $399 and another $300 for each mesh unit, I feel sorry. Look at your possible development on your network. If it ever needs a router that is not locked down, save yourself the money and get the Dream Machine and the Mesh points for that.

If you are already past the return date, join our cause and help us make a difference by posting here, emailing reps, calling/chatting with reps; here or on the Apps Chat Function.

These are not $50 routers but it seems that $50 routers have the option to disable the most basic things such as DHCP, without sacrificing functionality.

Ubiquiti.... Being the 'Big Kid' on the block doesn't give you the right to bully. Especially when you have less expensive equipment that does more.

This has got to be the most myopic thing I've seen in a long time.

• @Derek-Saville .. After trying that, it did not work for cutting internet off devices (Family Control) because it's not in the DHCP range it controls. That could easily be fixed with firmware, to lock out MAC addresses instead of IPs.

• Hi @Tony-B - just curious, are you wanting the equivalent of Family Profiles & Parental Controls (Quiet Time) implemented in Bridge mode?

I was under the impression you could have 2 DHCP servers on the same subnet with different scope ranges
    The post you referenced uses different subnets, but I thought others had split the subnet scopes and it had worked (maybe only if the AmpliFi router had static reservations for all of its range)
    Again, this was in the past for enabling Guest access at the time when it wasn't in bridge mode

But what you are saying is that the AmpliFi can only manage clients (Family Profiles) that it hands out IP address to?
    Instead of all clients that access through the AmpliFi router?