No Internet

• Hey guys,

I’ve been using my Alien for about a year with fiber (no modem required) and everything up has been easy. Well now I’m at a new place, with a new ISP that requires a cable modem, and I can’t seem to get any internet.

I’ve been on the phone with COX and they say that they can see my modem and it’s communicating correctly. But the Alien says no internet. Any ideas?

I have a Netgear CM1100.

• @Gofast Move ethernet cable to the other port on the Netgear. Confirm that the ethernet cable is in the WAN port on the Alien.

• @Matthew-Leeds Both have been done.

• Factory Reset?

• @Derek-Saville did it twice

• @Gofast said in No Internet:

Hey guys,
    I’ve been using my Alien for about a year with fiber (no modem required) and everything up has been easy. Well now I’m at a new place, with a new ISP that requires a cable modem, and I can’t seem to get any internet.
    I’ve been on the phone with COX and they say that they can see my modem and it’s communicating correctly. But the Alien says no internet. Any ideas?
    I have a Netgear CM1100.

Did they (COX) have you activate / verify your connection by plugging a computer straight to your modem (no router in the middle)? If they did then maybe your modem locked the IP to that device's MAC address and when you plugged in your Alien (different MAC) it's not getting an IP until that's "cleared" (by either a modem reset or lease expiration)?

I think the right order to attempt to clear this would be:
    1- Shut down alien
    2- Shut down modem
    3- Unplug alien / modem
    4- Plug in / Turn on modem, wait for modem lights to indicate connection established
    5- Plug in alien (Alien WAN Port to Modem Lan Port)
    6- Plug in / Turn on Alien

• @oscartoro we didn’t plug a computer into the modem, is there a way to set it up without a computer?

How do I changed the locked MAC address?

• @Gofast
    Just in case, the alien doesn't require a computer to "set up", but some companies (not sure about COX) require you to "hardwire" in a computer to the modem for the initial setup and/or connectivity testing, but it sounds like COX didn't ask you to do that (maybe they sent you device pre-activated, or maybe they have a more "open" activation process...)
    Secondly, some modem setups end up temporarily locking the WAN IP address to a device's (whichever device you first plugged in) MAC address... If (guessing here) that were the case (WAN IP locked to MAC address other than your Alien), then usually the 6 step process I wrote above works to "move that lock" from the original device over to your new router (Alien).

• @oscartoro Thank you to everyone! I got it up and running. COX had entered some information incorrectly on their side.