Is your Alien rebooting without you knowing it? 🤔

• Since there aren't any logs or notifications, how do you know if your Alien has inadvertently rebooted?

I found the easiest way to tell is to do a speedtest and keep the LCD screen on. Then when the speedtest results are blank, it means it has rebooted. You can also check the LCD's Settings page which also shows your uptime.

My hypothesis is that most people don't realize that their Alien has rebooted and the reboot problem is more common that Amplifi would like to admit.

Of course, if it happens in the middle of a video stream, you'll notice, but the Alien reboots fairly quickly so outside of that situation, I bet many don't realize it's happened.

For those who do monitor this, what's your typical uptime before the Alien randomly reboots?

• @Uhl I have never had any random reboots, only after updates, etc. Great uptime here, and no issues. Running in Bridge Mode.

• how do you know if your Alien has inadvertently rebooted?

Hi @Uhl - if you have remote management enabled you can see the uptime of all your router installations on the Switch AmpliFi menu

what's your typical uptime before the Alien randomly reboots?

On non-beta firmware routers that are critical for working from home I manually reboot if I see the memory usage start to creep up above normal, which tends to occur in about 4 weeks if it is going to happen, but otherwise I have gone over 3 months without a reboot

• Mine started rebooting every 15-20 minutes since the last 2 days. It happened about a month ago and they recommended factory reset which I did. Corrected it... temporarily. Now I need to ask for an RMA.

• My first Alien rebooted randomly. Sometimes it'd be a couple days, other times 3 weeks. After a lot of back-and-forth with Amplifi, I finally got an RMA and got a replacement.

So far it's only been two weeks and things are looking good 🤞, but I won't celebrate until it's been at least a month.

• Well, that didn't take long. The RMA replacement went down for 45m and then restarted. So it only lasted 3 weeks. 😔

I'll see what Amplifi support wants me to do.