AmpliFi Alien Firmware v3.6.0

• @Derek-Saville Hi Derek, yes thats what i did and which led to the problem i described. I also can not see three separate Bands in the WebUI, there is only WiFi 6 connectivity shown.

I suppose maybe something missing for the EU for now ?

• Hi @bhaendel - the European model Alien does not have the Additional 5GHz Radio that the US model has

So you would only see the 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi 6 and 5 GHz Wi-Fi 6 radios presented in the Web UI

You should be able to enable a 160 MHz channel width on the 5 GHz Wi-Fi 6 radio

• 😞 and after a week or so of fairly stable running 3.6.0, I today have started to have my iOS devices go offline - going on and off Wifi and when 'forcing' back on, get a 'password' error 😞 Argh..
    I seem to be able to 'fix' it by turning off the private (random) MAC address function on iOS...

• Updating my post from 4 days ago. 13+ days and going strong. No drops / lost connections / reboots.
    Three observations:

1. Some Apple and LG potable devices are occasionally "sticky" to the 2.4Ghz. This only happens on main router and not Alien Mesh unit. Doesn't impact user performance.

2. The Alien Mesh unit 5 Ghz WiFi 6 radio rarely connects to DFS. For 2 days (Saturday / Sunday) it was on Channel DFS 116, then back to 153 on Monday. Support log submitted.

3. Played with WiFi analyzer to make sure Alien Router and Alien Mesh (wired backhaul) are on optimum channels. I measured signal strength at 3 and 15 foot clear line of site distance (no walls) for Alien units. I was surprised at the consistency between units.

Main Router:
    Channel 11 (2.4 Ghz) at 20 Mhz = -16dBm and -46dBm
    Channel 35 (5 Ghz) at 80 Mhz = -34dBm and -44dBm
    Channel 100 DFS (5 Ghz) at 80 Mhz = -28dBm and -53dBm

Mesh Router, (these can't be set and automatically selected by mesh unit):
    Channel 1 (2.4Ghz) at 20 Mhz = -21 dBm and -44dBm
    Channel 52 DFS (5 Ghz) at 80 Mhz = -32 dBm and -44dBm
    Channel 153 (5 Ghz) at 80 Mhz = -27dBm and -43dBm

At 100 feet through multiple walls 2.4 Ghz signal strength is around -68 to -75 dBM for both units ... much more bounce and variability as expected, but still quite usable WiFi.

• @UI-AmpliFi

After the 3.6 update my HomePod Mini stops connecting after a day or two and requires me to reboot the router for it to connect again. Had zero issues before 3.6.

Tried a static lease and made no difference. Still disconnects. Once it disconnects, it is unable to connect to WiFi. Only rebooting the Alien allows it to connect again. Rebooting the HomePod Mini does nothing to connect it again.

• This post is deleted!

• @Christopher-Bartolomucci Weird, I've got two here in my house and zero problems. Band steering on, single router for me.

• @Christopher-Bartolomucci I been having the same issue with just 1 HomePod mini that is on the WiFi 6 band. I had this issue before on an older version (forgot which one) but now it came back. It also happened on my PS5 until I switched it to the WiFi 5 radio.

The problem is that it happens only once every few weeks (at least 2 weeks) so its super hard to diagnose. It doesn't seem to happen to the other 7 regular HomePods.

• Same issue here with 1 mini.

Refuses to connect unless I reboot the router

Most common on band 44.

Since going back to band 40, haven't had the issue in over a week

Another issue is MacBook and iPad keep dropping down to 866 AX. Turn off wifi and on again and straight to 1200mbps. Never had this issue with my past router

I had one of my iPhones go into wifi calling. each time a phone call was made, the router speed would decrease by about 300mps. The minute the phone call was done, the speed would return.

Beam forming or whatever wifi 6 uses must be broken. This is probably the same reason for having the slowdown with the homepods connected

• I updated to v3.6.0 the day it was released. Since then I'm having trouble with media apps on several devices.

On Chromecast with Google TV devices, the Youtube app will load up videos but when I press play the video starts for a fraction of a second and immediately pauses. This behavior repeats itself over and over, never playing the video. The only remedies I've found are to disable wifi for several seconds and re-enable it, or to reboot the device. This happens a few times a day.

The same behavior happens on Shield TV devices in both the Youtube and Youtube TV apps.

The same pausing and never playing media behavior happens on Google Home devices and music. When I try casting Youtube Music to a device, it does the pausing thing. Same thing happens when not casting, just telling the device to play music, or telling it to play radio from the iHeartRadio service. Sometimes this isn't fixed when rebooting the device.

This was with DFS and 160MHz enabled. I have just disabled that option and am testing things out to see if the issue remains.

• @Jason-Ellis Interesting what you find testing DFS off and back to 80 Mhz.
    I have Google homes, mini's, hubs, several shield TV's and Lenovo display and none of them are having a problem running the 3.6.0 stable version.
    I will say, during the beta testing I learned that my Google / Android devices were unstable running DFS at 160 Mhz ... think it is more compatibility and very short range at 160Mhz.
    I'm running DFS channel 100 (Wifi 6) and DFS channel 52 (WiFi 5) set to 80 Mhz and all is running great for the Google devices, (and YouTube app on Shields), with no disconnects or stutter.

• I've seen a few people report lower signal strenghts when using DFS channels. this should be expected, here's why: https://www.air802.com/fcc-rules-and-regulations.html

TL;DR: DFS channels are transmit power limited to a lower overall EIRP value than the "Hot" 5.1 and 5.7 Ghz bands that we are used to transmitting in. Also, larger channels sizes will affect signal strength. As you increase channel size, you become more susceptible to ambient noise and of course signal strength. Wider channel widths do not propagate as well as smaller sizes.

I hadn't seen this mentioned yet.. Just wanted to drop this here as we deal with these kinds of things every day in my day-job. (I work for a WISP)

I'll be upgrading my Alien this afternoon and playing around with DFS and taking some measurements as others have! Cheers, all!

EDIT: @UI-AmpliFi Obviously now, the Alien was approved by FCC, do the same EIRP limits apply with the Alien? What is the mechanical gain of the 5 Ghz radio in the Alien? Thanks in advance!

• @SBB_Anthony funny, i just changed the channel on my Alien to auto again because DFS channel 100 doesn't work with my XBOX series X, it just doesn't want to connect properly 😉

• @dexx64 It may be that the 802.11ac chipset in the Series X doesn't scan/talk to DFS channels. It will be a good while I imagine until your every day devices support DFS channels. You should have that sucker connected via wired-LAN if at all possible though, of course. 😉

• @SBB_Anthony lol yeah, putting a cable on the floor isn't nice to look at 😛

• @Jason-Ellis Just had this issue once again. Shield TV Pro device, started it up, opened the Youtube TV app, selected a channel, it just played for a fraction of a second each time I pressed play. Turned DFS and 160 MHz back on, rebooted router, still had the problem. Had to reboot the Shield TV.

It seems to be an issue no matter whether DFS and 160 MHz is turned on. I was on the previous firmware (3.5.2?) for a long time and never saw this issue, I've seen it daily since 3.6.0.

It's not a signal strength issue, because a Chromecast Audio that experienced this issue when I made my first post is about 3-4 feet away from the main router (I have 2 Alien routers, one set to router and one set to node).

• Obviously now, the Alien was approved by FCC...

Hi @SBB_Anthony - the FCC has not published an approval yet

If we give AmpliFi the benefit of the doubt it will be in their August release as Ubiquiti tends to have them out in around the second week of the month, and we can only assume they have actually passed and are just waiting on the procedure to catch up in that 'gray area' of legality

Your EIRP questions will be answered if and when those DFS test reports are published

It will also be interesting to confirm if they have properly certified Alien mesh points and RAMPs as DFS Primary devices and can drive the main router off of a DFS channel should they detect interference

My personal guess is that someone rushed the release to get the FragAttacks vulnerability fixes into the pubic not realizing the DFS channels and 160 MHz bandwidth options were still waiting on approval in the USA, so we all get to be a little rebellious with our radios for a while

• I don't think beam forming is working well on this router which could explain the slow down with the homepods.

My partners iPhone now makes phone calls over wifi.

I was doing some downloading when she answered the phone and almost immediately the data speeds went down by half. 700mb/s to 350+mb/s

I told her to disconnect from the wifi and almost immediately the speeds went back up to normal

As well as this

My MacBook and iPad drop to 866mps AX each day. I have to turn wifi off and back on for it to immediately reconnect at 1200mbps. Both are at 100%. RSSI is at -32, noise is - 94

Again never had this issue with my previous asus router

• v3.6.0 update messed WIFI speed and bandwidth if DFS is enabled no matter if is on 80Mhz or 160Mhz, as long as it is enabled most of my WIFI devices will stick to 2.4Ghz instead of 5Ghz even if only a few devices in my house is on 2.4Ghz. I enabled the additional band but this issue seems to be persistent. Also dropped in speed from 750MB on WIFI to 400MB. Everything works well except the WIFI speed as long as the DFS is not enabled. Unfortunately, there is no way to downgrade. Hopefully this will be addressed with the next update.

• @jdmsrt wow.. so i'm not the only one 😉 i have also speeds that drop to 400 and sometimes to 300.. i hope this will be fixed in a future update 🙂