My Amplifi HD is over heating?

• My internet provider found out that one of my routers (I have two Amplifi HDs) was knocking out a switch to his other customers. I noticed that one of my routers kept over heating (getting very hot to touch), then going down. The area is not a hot nor confined area? I’m afraid to buy a new one until I understand the issue? We worked a lot of technical troubleshooting, and have come to the conclusion that the router has a serious problem. Still puzzled how my router could impact a switch?

My home has a switch going to radios on my roof, serving some of the network’s customers?

Please let me know what’s up with the over heating issue.

• @hstewart2u I don't seem to be able to fully grasp the topology you are describing. How are the two HDs connected (one to a switch that supports multiple private connections?). And the switch (which is your providers equipment and not yours) is both connected to radios (modems/routers?) that support multiple private clients? What's the routing structure and IP address management? Who owns the ethernet cable that connects the switch to one(?) of your HDs. A diagram might help you get the support you want.

You might try swapping power supplies for your HDs and see if the overheating problem follows the power supply (putting a label on each power supply might help with tracking them).

• @Matthew-Leeds we just changed topology, yet the box is still getting hot. We swapped out the power supply outlet, it’s not that.

My other box is fine so far. I notice others also complaining about the over heating on these routers? What did you discover?

• @hstewart2u Perhaps it's a language thing, but my suggestion was to swap the power supply, not what outlet the power supply was connected to. I've never had an overheating issue with my setup.

I don't think I can trouble shoot this for you without more information such as that I've already asked for. You say you just changed topology so now I've no idea what your setup is, or when you started having issues. When did you discover your HD was overheating? Had you made any changes just before you noticed this? Did your provider change either the model of switch or the port you're connected to?

• @hstewart2u again, topology changed from being on switch supporting Network community to just a separate switch to not affect Network community. It’s a regular setup router to a network switch. The power supply is the one provided by Amplifi, I don’t have a replacement?

• @Matthew-Leeds I found a loop, was possibly making the router crazy. I notice you have an option to turn on to prevent loops.

• @hstewart2u At the top of this thread you stated you had two HD's. Each has a power supply. I was suggesting you swap power supplies. This, apparently, is no longer needed (see below).

• @hstewart2u Yes, loops in an ethernet network can negatively impact both switches and routers. This is why you document and confirm the topology of your network. Glad you found the issue and resolved it. I imagine your router is no longer over-heating.

• @Matthew-Leeds we’ll see, I’m watching it.

• Banned
    This post is deleted!

• @RW-eBooks Hello the best way to cool it is get a USB powered 120Mm desktop fan for pc. Just plug the fans USB cable into the power brick and it will cool it instantly. I had it running at 134F out of box now it's down to 110F 🙂

• If your router is hot to the touch, it could be a sign that a firmware update is needed. If that doesn’t do the trick, you might need to add a cooling element—especially if you’re working it hard.

Generally, you want router temperature below 90 degrees Fahrenheit.

Firewall rules and running a P2P client push a router CPU and generates heat. It’s just like a PC, except most router builds—especially older models—aren’t designed with cooling in mind. Heat is bad. It affects performance in the short term by slowing connection and dropping signal. In the long term, it reduces the life of your device.