Some way of using my Amplify HD and 2x endpoints with the Alien

• Hi. I’ve read that the HD is not compatible with the alien router.

However I have the have both and would like to utilize them in some way. I can backhaul too.

Thoughts??

• @Joel-Taylor Access point??

• @Ali-Hadi like a separate network? I’ve read the two units aren’t compatible to be extenders

• Hi @Joel-Taylor - are your HD units a kit or are they all standalone units?

Do you have a North American or European Alien model?

• @Derek-Saville the HD pack was purchased in the USA. The Alien was purchased in New Zealand. I’m not sure which version… 0_1627852858053_64DF35CE-F257-4167-9C20-F07805A8A504.jpeg

• Hi @Joel-Taylor - since your HD units are a kit they do not support wireless 3rd party router mode

As you know, the HD and Alien lines are not directly compatible, so any option will require them to be managed separately

Since you can use Ethernet backhaul, one option would be to install the HD in Bridge mode, and I would suggest giving the HD a Static Lease IP address from the Alien

You can use the same SSID and password as the Alien, but then you would want to manually place the HD to avoid too much signal overlap and manually configure the WiFi channels on both the HD and Alien to avoid interference

Or you can use a unique SSID for the HD and run it as a separate network, again manually setting the WiFi channels on both the HD and the Alien to avoid interference

• @Derek-Saville thank you! Great suggestion.

• @Joel-Taylor Derek is always your man 😉

• @Derek-Saville said in Some way of using my Amplify HD and 2x endpoints with the Alien:

u can use Ethernet backhaul, one option would be to install the HD in Bridge mode, and I would suggest giving the HD a Static Lease IP address from the Alien
    You can use the same SSID and password as the Alien, but then you would want to manually place the HD to avoid too much signal overlap and manually configure the WiFi channels on both the HD and Alien to avoid interference

This is what I've been doing with a two HD kits - the second is in bridge mode. So I have to config and manage two independent deployments and have to be careful with placement.

It is frustrating that they can't work together seamlessly. Seems ill-considered on Ubiquiti's part. Why do this to your customers? It is all aligned hardware and could work together. My only guess is this was a way to maximize short-term revenue but it comes at the price of customer enthusiasm and consequently reduces future sales.

Along the same lines, does anyone have any insights into why Ubiquiti doesn't support upgrade paths?

AmpliFi HD was such a great system to get started. I've deployed it in several locations and recommended it. Now I'd love to upgrade my deployments by adding an Alien or a Dream Machine. I would love to spend money buying more advanced Ubiquiti products. But that means putting AmpliFi into bridge mode and losing a lot of functionality or the investment . So instead I've hacked my way along buying used AmpliFI HD equipment and enduring a crappy management experience that bugs me every time I use it. This quells my enthusiasm for Ubiquiti or to recommend them. Seems short-sighted.