Slow mesh point speeds

• I am getting slow speeds when connected to a mesh point. My setup is a Surfboard 8200 modem (non-wireless) to the Amplifi HD, then two mesh points spread out more than 30 feet from each other and each mesh point is connected to the main router and not to each other.
    Running a speed test while on a mesh point, the highest speeds I can get are 130 down and 30 up on a 500/30 connection. Since owning this system, I have had service speeds of 100/10, 200/20 and now 500/30. On the previous two plans, I was only able to ever get speeds of 100 down and full upload. If I am connected directly to the main router on wireless I am able to get full speeds. Wired connections are also fine.
    I understand that the mesh points will be a little slower, but should it be less than half? I am running the most recent firmware, and this is not a new/recent problem, it has been going on for a while. Suggestions? Thanks.

• @Jason-Meyer A little more detail please. Are your meshpoints connected via Ethernet or WiFi? Are they part of a kit, or were they purchased separately? Are you seeing identical performance regardless of which mesh point you connect to?

• @mleeds sure thing. Purchased as a kit, one HD router and two wireless mesh points (no ethernet backbone). Both are connected via the 5Ghz band and I have disabled the backbone auto band switching in the web interface. Speeds are pretty much the same when connected to either one. The 130mbps down is a high, but the normal is 90-95mbps down and can still get 30mbps up.

• @Jason-Meyer What devices are you testing with? What app/service are you testing with?

Not sure I can trouble-shoot this for you but hoping something will jar loose in my brain with more info.

• @mleeds I am using a Samsung Galaxy S9 phone for the device. I am running Speedtest by Ookla and also used the speed test option in WiFiman.

• @Jason-Meyer "This is another bottleneck. If your glorious four antenna 802.11ac router is connecting to your single antenna 802.11ac smartphone then 400Mbps (50MBps) is your theoretical maximum and 200Mbps (25MBps) is the more realistic one."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2014/12/30/802-11ac-vs-802-11n-wifi-whats-the-difference/?sh=567cc4039574

Now check out the specs on the mesh point (page 9 of https://amplifi.com/docs/AmpliFi_Datasheet.pdf). There is a single antenna. So you've now got a single antenna cell phone connecting to a single antenna mesh point; so lower max throughput or so it would seem to me.

• @mleeds Thanks for the info. Looking at the router specifications on the 2nd link (page 7), it says that the router has 1 antenna in it, too. Wonder if that is correct or if it is a typo.

• @Jason-Meyer Typo. HD is a 3x3 SU-MIMO device. As apparently is the mesh point, my bad.

https://blog.amplifi.com/2016/10/14/whats-under-amplifis-hood-mimo-explained/

• @mleeds Thanks for that article. To me it seems like the mesh points should have more speed after reading that, unless I am reading it wrong.

• AmpliFi does not have dedicated backhaul radios, and a mesh point can only communicate with one device in one direction at a time as it has to act as a relay, so the theoretical highest throughput will always be about half of what the weakest link in the chain is

As data rates go up, % losses due to modulation, coding, overhead and interference increases at range and with any other clients in the area contending for the channel

There is a good article here...
    https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

• @Derek-Saville I was waiting/hoping you would show up.

• @Derek-Saville Thanks for the article. So when my Galaxy S9 is connected to the router, I am able to get around 375mbps down out of 500 that my ISP provides. So when I am on a mesh point, I should be getting around 1/2 of that (~187), at least that is the way that I am understanding it, is that correct? If so, then getting around 150 down on a mesh point is probably in the right range.

• Hi @Jason-Meyer - I would consider that a fairly reasonable assessment

Unfortunately AmpliFi does not expose much internal performance data

You can drill down into the client info in the app and see the signal strength and what potential (not actual) throughput is being negotiated

And I would suggest installing WiFiman for further site information

Then you can see if moving the MeshPoints or aiming them if you have the original ball joint ‘super antenna’ version can net you some small gains

Slight repositioning of the main cube away from walls or even rotational movement can also change signal strengths

Play with manual channel selection

Etc

Will you notice any improvements enough to make it worth the effort?
    It can take a little while for WiFi to stabilize and there is always the risk of making things worse…