Adding addition mesh points ?

• Sorry if this has been asked numerous times , I have tried to search for similar threads.

So I currently own the Amplifi Black HD Gamers Edition Mesh Router with 2x Access Points.

Looking to daisy chain some more mesh points to reach my outside building at the bottom of the garden, I understand the signal and walls have factors but if I had a mesh point in the outside building compared to one in my house just sending a only signal to the build surely it would result in a better signal,

So I’m considering purchasing a further gamers edition setup with 2 extra points I can add to my network and just selling on the stand alone router.

Is this possible to add more through the app or would I need to use the HD (white) mesh points as these are the only ones I seem to find being sold separately

Thanks in advance

• Hi @brett1976 - it used to be that it was not possible to combine components from different mesh kits, but AmpliFi have recently provided a beta firmware upon request to allow kits to be unlinked and utilized as standalone components

I suggest you contact support and confirm this option is available for the Gamers Edition
    If so, then you could do as you propose and purchase another Gamers Edition kit, unlink them, and then add the GE MeshPoints to your existing WiFi network
    This will not work until you follow the process to unlink them

Otherwise, any standalone HD router, MeshPoint HD, or Instant Router can be easily added to your mesh

The performance of the HD router cubes (or the Gamers Edition cube if you can unlink it) can sometimes provide better WiFi coverage as a mesh point (referred to as a RAMP) than the actual MeshPoints, so you might want to try using that in the outside garden building first

And if you there is any way you can run an Ethernet cable from your home to the outside building, wiring your Gamers Edition router to an HD/GE cube or an Instant router in the garden will provide a much more robust connection and well performing WiFi

• Have you sold the router? I am interested.

• @Brian-Tso I haven’t got around to finding a used set just yet and can’t justify new when I already own one

• @Derek-Saville
    Thanks so much for a detailed response , I’ve found it very helpful

So basically I could just purchase a normal HD version and use this as my Wi-Fi point in the garage .
    I already have a Ethernet cable then runs to there and plugs into a Apple TV .

So with the white HD router I wouldn’t need to unlink my gamers router it should just connect and use as a ramp ?

Sorry I’m not to familiar with how it works

• So basically I could just purchase a normal HD version and use this as my Wi-Fi point in the garage

Hi @brett1976 - correct, any HD cube can be used as a mesh point, either wired or wireless
    (Using a Router As a Mesh Point is sometimes referred to as a 'RAMP')...

• wired Ethernet backhaul will provide significantly better performance
    • there is no advantage to using a Gamers Edition cube over and HD when used as a mesh point
    • a standalone HD router can be added immediately
    • the HD router from a kit will need to be separated out first with special firmware from support

I already have a Ethernet cable then runs to there and plugs into a Apple TV

That should make for a very easy installation then once you have a standalone cube.
    Also note that, depending on your coverage and throughput needs, a standalone Instant router using wired backhaul may also work for this purpose

There is a two step process to adding a wired Ethernet backhaul mesh point...

1. add the standalone router as a wireless mesh point within range of the main router
      https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360016183893-Adding-AmpliFi-Standalone-Devices-as-Mesh-Points
    2. enable Ethernet backhaul in the app before moving it to its wired location and plugging it in via its WAN port
      https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006826048-How-to-Enable-Ethernet-Wired-Backhaul

Once the RAMP is installed, the Ethernet ports are still functional so you could also plug the Apple TV into a LAN port on the RAMP if you want to maintain its wired connection

So with the white HD router I wouldn’t need to unlink my gamers router it should just connect and use as a ramp ?

Correct, as long as the white HD router was either purchased standalone, or converted to standalone if it was originally part of a kit