DNS settings

• I would like to know if I my dns in combination with my Apple OS/IOS on all these devices needs to stay on 192.168.182.1 or blanco or can I use 1.1.1.1 -1.0.0.1 for each device and leave 192.168.182.1 behind.
    Is it necessary to use it when the standard is set on automatic? Apple with its new software is trying to make it impossible to follow your IP also via your email by others . What are the best settings in the devices or router/mesh concerning this issue?
    Who can help me out?
    Thank you?
    Grtz
    Theo

• @1961Theo You can use any DNS provider. Here's a few.

https://www.lifewire.com/free-and-public-dns-servers-2626062

https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/360010195354-Changing-the-Network-s-DNS-Address

Set these in your router, and leave your router as the upstream for your devices.

• @mleeds Thank you for answering my question. That is an answer to my configurate my router, but when having done this, how does it change my MacBookPro, iPhone, etc, ?
    Automatically? Or do I have to change them manually into the same setting for instance: 1.1.1.1-1.0.0.1?
    Grtz
    Theo

• @1961Theo Your devices get their IP addresses from the router via a protocol called DHCP. This also hands out other parameters such as subnet mask and DNS.

https://www.efficientip.com/what-is-dhcp-and-why-is-it-important/

See the section on DHCP Lease Time Management for your answer. TL;DR, your devices will update themselves via DHCP eventually unless you've assigned static addresses to them. How long this will take depends on the lease time, see this:

https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/219134627-Configuring-the-DHCP-Server-Settings

• @mleeds I gave al my devices a static IP. Is it useful to change the router IP from the standard 192.168.182.1 and what is the advantage?
    If there is, it would implicate that the static IP from the devices will need to be changed to. Or is it an automatic switch because replacing the 182 doesn’t effect the following .X

• @1961Theo If you've set a static on all your devices, and that static includes setting the router's address as your DNS address, and you've set the router to use 1.1.1.1 or some other public DNS service, then no changes are needed. In theory, the RFC 1918 addresses you use on your LAN can be anything in the RFC.

I'm unclear what you're trying to accomplish, and I'm beginning to think it's possible you're conflating IP addresses with DNS. It's important to understand each element in addressing, including, gateway address, DNS address, subnet mask, lease time (if using DHCP).

• @mleeds it was clear to me that every device could have its own static IP dates also that you could change the dns in the router to example: 1.1.1.1-1.0.0.1= Cloudflare
    Unclear to me was if i needed to change anything in the devices, because in all of these the dns was on automatic mode: 192.168.182.1. It made me think is that okay?

The other point was : you send me an url: it also explained that:should you wish to!!!
    You can change the router IP. From 192.168.182.1 to for example 192.168.153.1. The relevance is unclear to me?

Possibly your right that my knowledge is not good enough, but that’s why this forum is all about. And asking questions in a language that isn’t my native one combined with technical language makes it even harder
    It’s 03.53 am local time, so time to go to sleep ☺

• @1961Theo You keep saying 'automatic mode'.

Not sure I understand what that means given you've also said that you've given every device a static address. Giving a static address would include, at a minimum, an IP address for the device, a subnet mask, an IP address that points to a gateway (your router), and an IP address that points to an upstream resolver for DNS. That could be either your router, or pointing directly to a third party DNS provider like 1.1.1.1.

So once you've woken up, feel free to help me understand what you mean by 'automatic mode'.

As to relevance, you earlier said, "Is it useful to change the router IP from the standard 192.168.182.1 and what is the advantage?"

As a partial answer, I provided a URL that might help answer that. There is no real reason to change the router's LAN IP address, and doing so would require you to change the static assignments for every device as their default gateway IP address is your router's LAN IP address.

• If you put in your own custom DNS addresses in the router, as long as you have DHCP set to auto in the devices, the devices will pick up the DNS addresses you set automatically.

• @cmdshft

Thank you; that was the “ automatic “ I was referring to. You are an expert and understand quite quickly the point I was trying to make ☺

Maybe my question was somewhat incoherent nevertheless a good reader understand what’s it al about

Have a nice day
    Grtz Theo