Mesh Point

• I have an AmpliFi Alien and it came with a mesh point. Upon initial setup the two connected and worked for about a day or so and then the mesh point disconnected. I reset the mesh point and then the router and then reconfigured the router and was unable to reconnect to the mesh point...so I sent the unit back. Second unit arrived and the same thing happened...worked for bit and then disconnected. I can see the mesh point is offline in the app and verified the last 6 digits shown under the mesh point in the app match the last 6 digits of mesh points SN# so I know that I am using the mesh point that was hard wired to the router.

As someone who is responsible for several networks I am stumped as to why this is happening and what I can do to fix it. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Andy

• Hi @Montanaflyer - is there any chance the mesh point ended up on a different firmware revision than the main router?

AmpliFi have been working on a way to unlock mesh points so they become standalone, although I have not heard of this being done on an Alien yet

You might contact support and see if they have a beta firmware you can install manually on both the router and mesh point to see if you can get them synced up

Is this only with wireless backhaul or did you also attempt to enable Ethernet backhaul?

• @Derek-Saville

Derek, Thank you for the reply. That is a really good question on the firmware. The main router is running 3.6.2 but I am not certain how to check the mesh point. Since I posted I did unplug the mesh point and literally moved it back to back (touching) with the router and was able to get it to connect but is said faint signal. I moved a room or so away and it is back to searching...

I will give the ethernet backhaul a go and see what happens.

Thanks again.
    Andy

• Hi @Montanaflyer - that unfortunately sounds like another bad unit, but it still may be firmware related

If you can put them back-to-back, connect and then enable Ethernet backhaul, it will be interesting to see if clients can then connect to the mesh point, or if there is an antenna/radio issue

And confirm they are on the same firmware

Pull some support info files while they are connected back-to-back and then after connection failures and send them to AmpliFi when opening a ticket if you haven't already done so

• @Derek-Saville

Thanks again for the reply! No luck following your suggestions however I did not know there was the ability generate a log! As suggested log has been generated and submitted with an email to Ubiquiti's help desk. Fingers crossed! I will update when I get a reply/solution.

Thanks again!
    Andy

• Hi @Montanaflyer, I purchased the router and mesh point less than 2 weeks ago... based on the fact that I have purchased and setup several other Ubiquiti products always with great results. Every 3-5 days the mesh node drops out and the only way to bring it back is a total factory reset of both the mesh point and the router. The distance between these 2 units is less than 40 feet with only a single wall between them. When they are connected and operational everything is fine and the signal level is right around -50 (Good). I even ran a cable between them (wired backhaul) and after a few days the mesh node still drops. I have bought some low end TP-L*** products costing far less that I have setup for family that have ran for a year without any issues. Simply unacceptable and frustrating. I know this does not help in any way... just adding it here since the problem is similar. I am within my return window so this one goes back... Good luck with your situation.