Ethernet backhaul & Bridge Mode

• Hi,
    I currently have one Amplifi HD router in bridge mode to my ISP router. I'm looking to get a second Amplifi HD router and do ethernet backhaul on it. Would the unit allow me to do so? If it does, do I plug the ethernet cable into the first unit LAN port to the second unit WAN port? Since the WAN port of the first unit is occupied for bridge mode.

• I'm looking to get a second Amplifi HD router and do ethernet backhaul on it. Would the unit allow me to do so?

Hi @Daniel-Duc-Tran - yes, and you can find the instructions here...
    https://help.amplifi.com/hc/en-us/articles/115006826048-How-to-Enable-Ethernet-Wired-Backhaul

do I plug the ethernet cable into the first unit LAN port to the second unit WAN port?

First you need to add the new HD router to your mesh as a wireless access point
    Then you need to enable Ethernet Backhaul for the new access point in the app
    And finally use an Ethernet cable to connect the WAN port of the new HD router to a LAN port on the original HD

Note that you can set up the new HD as a wireless access point in close proximity to your original HD router and then unplug and move it to its final location after you enable Ethernet Backhaul in the app

AmpliFi also officially recommends connecting the RAMP directly to a LAN port on the primary router, however when using Bridge mode, it normally works to connect the new RAMP anywhere on the Ethernet network, so you could for example run the Ethernet cable between a LAN port on your ISP router and the new HD's WAN port if that would make the installation easier

• @Derek-Saville I received my second hd kit, when I try to make it as Ethernet back haul I get this message. The main unit is up to date on firmware 0_1636670718343_695A7711-FB36-4001-8C00-9A2A2E5C6EC6.png

• Hi @Daniel-Duc-Tran - is your original HD a standalone router or also part of a kit?

The restrictions are, 1) there can only be one kit per mesh, and 2) the router from the kit must be the primary router of the mesh

The good news is AmpliFi now has a way to separate out kits into standalone devices, but it requires contacting AmpliFi Support for some special firmware and following a process - you can read more from this post onward in this thread...
    https://community.amplifi.com/topic/1222/remove-hardware-code-between-router-and-mesh-points/59

So, if your original HD router is standalone, then you have the option of swapping it with the one in the kit, or converting the kit to standalone devices

If your original HD router is also part of a kit, then your only option is to convert the second kit to standalone devices (unless you want to return it and directly purchase standalone units to add to your mesh instead)

• Yes, my original HD router is part of a kit.
    If I were to convert my second KIT to a standalone, will the two factory meshpoint that comes with the kit still usable? If not, I would have to return the second kit and purchase standalone.

• Hi @Daniel-Duc-Tran - yes, all 3 components can be converted to standalone