Ui Switch Flex Mini + Alien?

• Hi,

I need a few more Ethernet ports and wanted to confirm if Switch Flex Mini can be used with the Alien?

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-switching/products/usw-flex-mini

• @manank pretty much any switch can be used.

• Tagging onto this thread, looking to get a switch flex mini with my Alien as well for additional ethernet ports and would like to have bandwidth limiting on certain devices.

Will I be able to use the Unifi controller to manage the flex switch if it is connected to the Alien? or will it be essentially work as an unmanaged switch.

As for why I went for the Alien vs UDM, I'm personally not a fan of how the the UDM looks and wanted Wifi6 built in for future proofing.

• Hi @DivineEquinox - I use UniFi switches and APs behind an Alien managed with a controller
    At one location I just use a laptop based controller for configuration only and at others I run a CloudKey
    Never had any issues

If you missed the $79 fire sale on the Early Access 802.11ax UniFi Dream Router (UDR) hopefully it will come back once the chip shortage stabilizes
    The UDR still has a managed switch with 2 PoE ports
    The downsides are it is only dual-core limiting IPS/IDS and gigabit Ethernet only
    Nice little router for the price that could probably replace quite a few Aliens for small home networks

• @Derek-Saville Thanks for the quick reply!

Good to know that I'm able to have the Flex Switch hooked up to the Alien and still be managed.

Another quick Q, does the controller software always need to be running? Or can I just simply set it up on my PC once, have it be done and only open the controller for updates (I turn the PC off every night).

Had a look at the UDR, still doesn't tickle my fancy as it looks like the UDM and given I'm from down under wouldn't place any bets on it being available any time soon, Early Access price of $79 was amazing though.

I only need the one Alien as it provides enough wifi coverage for the house, just needed more ethernet ports and the ability to limit bandwidth on certain ethernet connected devices/people who decide to chew through my internet bandwidth during the peak hours.

• does the controller software always need to be running? Or can I just simply set it up on my PC once, have it be done and only open the controller for updates (I turn the PC off every night).

Hi @DivineEquinox - the controller does not need to remain running
    You can simply set up the devices with the controller running on a PC and then take the controller offline

• @Derek-Saville Sweet as thank you!