Now on fiber and...

• ATT installed fiber to my home the day before yesterday, including a shiny new BGW320-505 modem (Nokia). I'm provisioned 500Mb symmetrical. When I log into their modem it reports my speed as roughly 625Mb; I'm guessing that's over-provisioning. When I connect a computer via ethernet directly to the modem and run speed tests from a variety of sites I get between 350Mb to 425Mb, depending on which speedtest site and which end point the speedtest uses. Pretty much the same results when the AmplifiHD is inline between the modem and my computer. Needless to say this is a step up from the bonded DSL 75/20 service I was on previously. FYI, I've not tweaked NAT, passthru, or anything else. Just plug and play. Don't really see the need to tweak given no difference in performance between connecting directly to the modem or via the AmplifiHD. Oh yes, and the tech left me the BGW210-700 that was installed previously. No installation fee, no monthly modem rental, and the first year promotional cost is $30/month, which is $25/month less than I was paying for the bonded DSL service. I'm a happy camper.

• @mleeds And replying to myself, all the browser tests were with Firefox. Testing the Chrome just now, and the speeds are in the 450Mb/600Mb range, with dependencies on the site and end point. Go figure, and perhaps I should download a few computer apps and test sans browser.

• @mleeds Keeping up with the trend, one more time, talking to myself. Tested with the Ookla app running on a Windows 10 box, via ethernet, through the AmplifiHD, and here's the results.

0_1642816190117_SpeedTest Results.jpg

Results vary depending on end point selected, but this strongly suggests that speed tests run from a browser have a high rate of variability, based on browser and end point selected. While the end point variability is not eliminated by moving to an app, and while I'm not ready to populate a table with results of testing every end point available in the app, both Comcast and Cloudflare gave great results.

This also, once again, shows that at least for some, ATT is over-provisioning their service. I could see that in the management interface for the modem, and this last set of tests validate that.

It also, at least for me, suggests that the AmplifiHD doesn't need to be tuned or tweaked, at least for sub-Gb speeds. It's worth noting that the BGW320-505 modem has a 2-5Gb port (that's right, speed up to 5Gb), and that ATT has mentioned that will become available at some point in time. I've no current needs beyond the 500Mb speed I currently have, and none of the gear I've got would be able to take advantage of that speed.

I also tested the Microsoft branded speed test app, installed from the MS store. It consistently failed, and was summarily deleted from my system.

• Yeah, but if I would like to use Ethernet port - I would buy the cheapest 1Gb switch.

The problem with amplifi hd is the Wi-Fi - not the range, but with the Network speeed.

. I would expect sth bigger than 120 Mbps when I am using meshpoint.

Seriously, in modern world I can imagine that if will be able to find calculator that have Hotspot possibility - you will achieve more than that.

• @us3r WiFi speeds depend on a number of factors:

Distance between endpoints.
    Number of hops.
    Version of WiFi on each endpoint.
    Congestion on channel.

And FYI, my posts in this thread were not about WiFi. They were about ATT fiber, and speed testing to confirm availability of advertised bandwidth, and how testing methods can report different results. There are other threads that discuss in great detail how to do WiFi end point testing.

The HD system is an AC and not an AX. You may want to (if you have not already) read this article which discusses both the various types of WiFi, and their theoretical and actual speed performance.

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

• Yes, I read it. Moreover I did a lot of tests on amplifi hd. And my opinion is simple: it is not worth any Money.

I didn’t say single word about 802.11ax but I can guess that is working in Alien in the same way as 802.11ac on Amplifi HD.

I am sitting a few meters to the latest mesh point:
    0_1643050443261_044FA2DA-62DE-4918-974F-12DC4FB10E35.jpeg

Distance from that meshpoint to amplifi is next 5m (it is behind the wall).

Everything is on “green”:
    0_1643050714004_75182219-F44B-4137-A66F-7F76A8E15BB0.png

Network speed on the place where I am sitting now (1st picture)

0_1643050828514_B1089EB1-26F8-4A4A-A535-200EBDB22E21.png
    And retest:

0_1643051975903_92501DE8-022E-4074-B724-12820FA193B3.png

So above where performed when I was connected to mesh point. Now I moved my ass - 10m, one wall and here is the result when I am connected to main unite:
    0_1643052039134_CD177235-FFC9-48BA-9ECE-6534E57AC099.png

if I will use tplink or old UniFi (both are using 802.11ac without Mesh). I will get stable 450 Mbps without any extra configuration. And it is half of the price.

I don’t want discuss about theory of 802.11ac. I am getting values from HD page where they are pointing to 1300Mbps and that value is completely not possible to achieve even if you are sitting on the amplifi hd.

• I am getting values from HD page where they are pointing to 1300Mbps and that value is completely not possible to achieve even if you are sitting on the amplifi hd.

https://www.duckware.com/tech/wifi-in-the-us.html

Yes, I read it.

Hi @us3r - then you know from 6. Cutting through router marketing hype that the meaningless '1300Mbps' claim "is nothing more than marketing hype/madness" practiced by most of the industry

Aside from that, since AmpliFi does not utilize dedicated backhaul radios which cuts bandwidth throughput by roughly 50% to a MeshPoint, the 170 Mbps Netflix throughput with a loaded latency of 62ms seems very plausible, especially if you are testing on a mobile device with a nearly depleted battery that may be doing power saving in the background

I would suggest testing with the primary HD router only after powering off the MeshPoints and checking if throughput roughly matches your previous setups while also confirming they were using the same channels and wireless settings for an accurate comparison and ensuring none of the other 19 clients shown as connected are causing interference or contention

The HD is capable of and should have similar standalone performance as any other 2x2 MIMO AC router when tested in a like environment and same PHY

Adding the MeshPoints will then trade throughput for additional coverage, and as you are discovering, may not be worth it for your site

• @us3r I ran some simple tests. Sitting about 10 feet from a mesh point (wireless) I get roughly 130/130Mb. Pulling both mesh points out of service, and connecting to the HD I get 490/275Mb. Connecting to the WiFi built-in to my fiber modem at a distance of a few feet I get 590/420Mb. Moving to the other side of the house I get no signal at all from the fiber modem but my mesh setup not only covers the entire house but the yards in front and in back.

So the tradeoff is indeed bandwidth for coverage. That works for my use cases. I get that it may not for others.

Modem is a BGW320, and test device is an iPhone 11 both of which support 802.11ax.

• For best results in testing your network speed you’ll want to use a wired connection if at all possible. This way, you don’t have to worry about interference and performance fluctuations that can occur while you’re on Wi-Fi. If you have any other wired devices on your home network, plug your test computer directly into the modem so those don’t interfere. You want to learn how much bandwidth is coming directly into your home, before it begins getting divvied up among connected devices.

• @Jbarkwin1 Yeah, I've logged into the providers modem and checked the reported bandwidth there. I've wired directly into the modem as well. Also run iperf from a wired server, testing both wired directly from the modem and from the Amplifi HD. That's on top of WiFi iperf tests as well.