Ubiquiti Access Points and Alien

• Hi All,

I did search but the answers seem all over the place.

Would I be able to use this as an AP and would there be any benefit this would provide that other AP's wouldn't? (other than the obviousness of it being a damn good AP.

https://store.ui.com/collections/unifi-network-wireless/products/unifi-ap6-professional

Thank you!

• Would I be able to use this as an AP...

Hi @Danny-Pomeroy - yes, managed independently from the Alien and not part of the Alien's mesh, although you can use the same SSID & Password and fine tune settings to minimize overlap to improve handoff

Unifi AP's do not require a controller running 24/7 unless you need a real-time feature, such as Guest access which would also have to be setup separately from the Alien if you need it at the location the U6-Pro covers

...would there be any benefit this would provide that other AP's wouldn't?

Not really, just depends on your needs

The only access points that can truly mesh an Alien is another Alien, which some would perceive as a benefit

I had an EA U6-Pro and then switched to a U6-LR when they became more generally available because I didn't need more then 2x2 5Ghz 802.11ax and my few 2.4GHz clients preferred the stronger 802.11ac only connections (although that would probably change over time and with attrition), so the benefits are really in the eye of the beholder...

• Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for.

Love the info this group helps with. So awesome!

• Very Informative information. This is my second visit here. I have always found very interesting information in your forum discussions. Keep it up.