Alien filters PTP, Airplay dont work.

• Hi everyone,

System
    Router: Ubiquity AmpliFi Alien WiFi 6 Mesh Router EU. (I have only one router).
    Naim QB Mu-so 1 Firmware: v2.0
    iPhone X: iOS 15.4.1
    iPad Pro 3: iPadOS 15.4.1

I have had this issue since I started using my new Alien router, almost 7 months ago. It won't stream play from Apple Music. It is however successfully added to list of speakers in the Apple Music app.

Now, from what I have been explained the alien router is incorrectly filtering the return path of PTP traffic which in turn breaks airplay2.

I first posted this issue on the NAIM forum and almost immediately got a response form the NAIM team. NAIM engineer team bought an alien router EU version (as I have) and from what I understand, did a deep research and analysis. So their finding regarding Aliens PTP traffic I believe is really solid.

Basically, this is what happen: I choose my speaker (QB Mu-so) from the list of speakers, and press play in the Apple Music app. Then no sound. 5-8 seconds later Apple Music switches back to the Iphone X.

I know the QB Muso (1) is a 2,4ghz and that and my AmpliFi Alien router is supposed to switch automatically. I did try using a dedicated 2,4 network for the QB muso 1, but same thing happens. All other IoT's in my home (20+ IoT's) works perfectly, even the ones that only work on 2,4ghz. The network signal is strong, and I am otherwise happy with my router and finds it both stable and secure.

Does anyone else have this issue with their Amplify device? Any suggestions for a fix?

• I experienced exactly the same issue with my Naim Muso and Airplay not working with my brand new Alien so have returned it for a refund. I'm hoping someone from Amplifi can update this thread and let us know they're working on a solution as the Alien was otherwise the best mesh system I've used in our home and I'd love to give it another chance!

• @jonashu @David-Simpson These are the first two reports of such issues. Since Airplay works great for other popular speakers like Sonos and HomePod there must be something wrong or incompatibility specifically with Naim QB Mu-so.
    However, we are eager to solve this issue.
    Could you please clarify if you had gen 1 or gen 2 of Naim QB Mu-so?
    Thank you!

• @UI-AmpliFi
    For me it’s with the first gen Muso.

• @UI-AmpliFi Hi, thanks for your reply on this.:)
    OK, so I hav a f1. Gen Musk QB.
    I am guessing that someone from the NAIM engineer team have reached out to guys. Anyways, I sorry to say that I all ready traded inn my Alien for another brand. Still, really important to say that the Amplifi Alien have away stronger signal that the one I replaced in with. And i Miss the Amplifi app. But for me it was all about the music

• I have exactly the same issue with my Mu-so gen1 and the HD router. Doesn’t happen with any other router, just the AmpliFi. Would be great if you guys could solve this!

• @UI-AmpliFi I also have this problem, please see attached thread from Naim https://community.naimaudio.com/t/mu-so-qb-won-t-stream-apple-music/20214/82?page=3

In particular

Hi Jonas,

I never got a proper reply from Amplifi for any form of fix, or ack of the issue. So far I can’t really point the finger of blame at Apple on this one, as there is a clear issue on incorrect traffic bridging through their router.

From Naim’s side we’re incorporating Apple source code and then going through a strict certification process at Apple HQ in California. It doesn’t mean its bomb proof, but technically its passed 1000’s of tests and its code that has run in millions of devices as its Apple code.

On this one the finger of blame is unfortunately with that router provider and their firmware.

By the way, I sent the router back to Amazon :slight_smile:

Regards

Steve Harris
    Software Director
    Naim Audio Ltd.

Is there any further progress on this, I have 3 Naim Muso and thus far it means I cannot use the Alien Amplifi I have not long had. Is there any attempt at fixing the problem Naim have identified, they took the trouble of buying a router, trying it etc. So I see little reason why they would be incorrect as to what is causing the problem.

It would appear if it is a bridging issue that this is something that can be fixed or not?

I would be grateful for a response and any update as I am sure others on the thread will be. The cost of the router was not insignificant but against the cost of my speakers frankly it pales in comparrison and I know what the choice will be of sending something back.

• @Jack-McDonald said in Alien filters PTP, Airplay dont work.:

Is there any further progress on this, I have 3 Naim Muso and thus far it means I cannot use the Alien Amplifi I have not long had. Is there any attempt at fixing the problem Naim have identified, they took the trouble of buying a router, trying it etc. So I see little reason why they would be incorrect as to what is causing the problem.
    It would appear if it is a bridging issue that this is something that can be fixed or not?
    I would be grateful for a response and any update as I am sure others on the thread will be. The cost of the router was not insignificant but against the cost of my speakers frankly it pales in comparrison and I know what the choice will be of sending something back.

As I mentioned in that thread at Naim I finally got Airplay to work on my old Amplifi HD system after updating the firmware but it stopped working after the first mesh reboot and it hasn't worked since. I've packed up my HD system and reinstalled my Plume which works flawlessly with AirPlay each and every time.

I completely agree with you the problem has to be with Amplifi's systems as my eero, Plume and Linksys Velop mesh systems work with Airplay, my Muso and any Apple device I cast from perfectly.

• Thanks for the update. I think it's a case of finding something else see a few people gone for Netgear nighthawk too without any issues.

• Yeah I saw that about Netgear routers. Steve at Naim mentioned that's what they used.

I just wanted to add that when I first discovered this issue back in 2019 when my
    HD system was new I did manage to cast music to my Muso if I physically placed the Muso on the floor directly in front of my gateway HD (the cube) but not anywhere else like the same room as the HD mesh points, etc. I worked with Amplifi support back then sending them logs but they never figured it out. Naim worked with me suggesting it was my router the whole time. I reinstalled my Apple Time Capsule (Airplay worked of course with the Time Capsule and Muso two floors away from each other or anywhere else in the house I wanted to place them) then I went over to Best Buy and bought a three node Velop system just for testing. Airplay worked flawlessly no matter where the Velop nodes and Muso was placed. Naim was right, the problem is with our Amplifi systems.