AmpliFi Alien Firmware v3.6.4

• AmpliFi Alien firmware version 3.6.4 has been released.
    Release notes:

• Security updates (CVE-2022-0778, CVE-2018-25032)
    • Improved system stability
    • Fixed night mode not working if DFS channels were enabled and radar detected
    • Removed hardware acceleration feature
    • Updated LCD icon database
    • Other improvements and fixes

We use a gradual rollout for the update. It may take up to a week for your device to receive this update.

AmpliFi Alien Firmware Release Notes

• What was the reason for removing hardware acceleration?

• I believe it was found to offer no benefit and in fact could cause issues

• @LineNoise There are some problems due to hardware acceleration in the future, the problems are fixed and returned again

• @LineNoise Its a feature on the chip that Qualcomm made they said in the Beta and it wasn't working very well. It's supposed to process packets on the chip after approving them without having to send to the software layer but it wouldn't and freeze and take too long to get it to the software layer for approval. Basically it was making stuff slow to load.

• Not everyone's experience with hardware acceleration was bad. It can be manually enable through the web admin in Beta options. Because many had issues, it was disabled by default. It is still there however.

• @UI-AmpliFi Just wanted to report that my experience with the beta versions of 3.6.4 causing my Unifi devices to become unadopted appears to have been fixed in the release version of 3.6.4. After upgrading the FW this morning, all my Unifi devices have remained properly adopted.

Thanks for resolving that issue.

• @unseenone I was just about to mention that I'm still seeing it there... and ask @UI-AmpliFi if that's just a placebo and it's not active at all or if it can still be turned on by choice.

• @UI-AmpliFi Cool.
    Can you post the update standalone bin file along with the others on the "AMPLIFI ALIEN PREVIOUS STABLE FIRMWARE VERSIONS" board?
    Thanks!

• I have had 3.6.4 installed for a couple of days now and everything is working great. Hope WPA3 is coming in 3.6.5?

• I have two Aliens with one serving as a mesh. Just installed v.3.6.4 from 3.5.2. Previously had to downgrade from 3.6.1 back to 3.5.2 since hardware acceleration was causing lockups. Mesh point had a higher throughput after downgrade as well. Everything is working fine so far with the exception of DFS channels. After update when dfs was enabled, the Alien serving as a mesh could not connect. Did a cold restart and another restart through the app and did not resolve the issue. Also completed a factory reset of both units and the problem persisted. Finally got the mesh to connect after turning off DFS on the main unit. Anyone else with these issues?

• @UI-AmpliFi Updated both my units from 3.6.2. My units were up for 167 days, impressive, got screen shot to prove it. I think that was the last firmware update. I have a wired RAMP. Too early to tell if there are issues. I really don't see a difference so far. I'm hoping roaming is more stable. I also was hoping the fans on my RAMP unit would actually start running consistently but they haven't. It runs hot to me. Support said it was normal. I am convinced that thing has never ran correctly. It has 10 devices on it, runs 67C fan at 0. My main unit, 40 devices, fan runs properly, usually around 750rpm, 59-62C. Same room temp. Getting worried with summer coming.

Was hoping for some more admin page features. But nothing. I would really like some way to list all assigned IP's for troubleshooting.

• @MQ2 are you using Ethernet backhaul, or using wifi to connect the mesh units? And, are you utilizing both the Wifi 5 and Wifi 6 Radios, or 'just' the Wifi 6 ?

• @Daniel-Osers I am using wifi on the 5ghz WIFI 6 band to connect to the main unit. The additional 5 ghz radio is turned on as well.

• @MQ2 Thx. Interesting. Wonder if we have others that have the same issue? DFS, which is critical to me seems to be working fine - but I am using all-wired backhaul (3 Routers total).... Also, just the Wifi 6 radio enabled (but in my case only for client communication)...

• @UI-AmpliFi updated to 3.6.4 and things work so far - but all 3 of my mesh points are now transmitting on channel 100 (DFS) which isn't great.
    Before, reliably, the routers (3 routers connected to RAMP via ethernet backhaul, only Wifi 6 radio enabled) would chose different DFS channels so as not to overlap (i.e. 100,116, 132), and that worked very well.

As it is, when they all overlap on 100, I have significantly worse performance due to interference (while 116 and 132 remain empty).

Why did that change? That was working beautifully (and much more 'intelligently'?) in 3.6.2

• @Daniel-Osers PS, I 'fixed' it by manually restart one mesh router, then the other, and they picked up different channels again (116 and 132 - with the main router maintaining 100; and 1, 6 and 11 on the 2.4). Would be great if that was analyzed and working automatically again.

Otherwise, it's been very stable so far, making to 3.6.2

• They weren't lieing that it take up to a week or more. In California waiting for the update still. Waiting to see if some of the bugs are fix so my Roomba will connect correctly to the cloud

• @adam2289 Hello. In order to provide the best user experience, we do release official firmware gradually. In case users report new issues we stop the release and work to fix them.
    If you would like to receive the latest Early Access firmware first, please sign up to our Early Access / Beta program.

If you are having issues with iRobot or any other products please reach out to our support.

• Updated to 3.6.4 yesterday (California). Have Alien main router in the house, another Alien router set up as wireless mesh unit in the garage. Was previously running 3.6.2 since its release back in October - nearly 50 WiFi devices throughout the property, and several wired devices off of both routers. Have Cox internet with Gigablast. (overkill for my needs, actually, but that's fine).

Firmware 3.6.2 was excellent - never a problem whatsoever over many months of use. Mainly updated to 3.6.4 due to security updates, which is always a good thing. As a matter of course, I always practice a hard reset (unplug/plug) on devices after an update, same with these routers. Everything is running as expected.

(Would love to see the ability to restart these devices from the app one day, instead of unplugging/plugging, for not only doing so after updates, but just as a general 'health check' action every few months.) Absolutely LOVE these routers, keep up the good work!