My excellent journey from an Asus RT-AC5300 to Amplifi HD

• I wanted to post about my great experience with Amplifi HD coming from an Asus RT-AC5300 (near top-of-the line Asus router).

To begin, I've been running the Amplifi HD for a month now and couldn't be happier. I purchased the package that came with two mesh points and from reading in the forum, I found out that each mesh point divides the traffic. I did some research and noticed that one of my mesh points only had a couple of devices connected to it so I repositioned the other and just am running one mesh point now. Works very well!

Why did I switch from the Asus RT-AC5300 to the Asus RT-AC5300? Well, let's talk about what is running my environment.

My environment:

• 2 Synology NAS (one acts as a backup to the other)
      • Lots of media streaming in the house (music, video, etc)
    • 8 HD Webcams
    • 1 PS4
      • Heavily used for gaming
    • 1 XBox One
    • 1 Xbox 360
    • 9 Android smartphones/tablets
    • 1 Boxee Box
      • Heaving used for streaming media each evening
    • 1 WDLiveTV
    • 3 Google Home
    • 1 Chamberlain HQ garage door
    • 3 PC/Laptops
      • 1 is heavily used for gaming
    • 2 Digital Thermostats
    • 1 Epson printer
    • 2 Chromecasts

So, all-in-all, the "big traffic" is in the evening when the PS4 and PC are both being used for gaming while I stream content from my Synology NAS to my Boxee Box. The Amplifi HD router does it without breaking a sweat? What was life like with the Asus router?

Asus Issues:

• 5ghz dropped for 30-45 minutes at a time every few days when my son was gaming on his PC
    • Router could not broadcast 5ghz to the other end of the house
    • All three PC/Laptops could not "fully open" backup via Acronis backup without crashing the network. I had to arbitrarily set a max-bandwidth setting in Acronis to limit outgoing traffic from each PC.
    • A few times during the week, my Boxee Box would start buffering while streaming. Grrrrrrr.
    • Chamberlain HQ garage door connection was a nightmare. It's beyond this post what I had to do to get Asus connect to the Asus RT-AC5300. I finally found the right combination and could get it to happen but it was just crazy difficult.
    • Cannot get in touch with Asus support - they don't even respond. Tried several times to get in touch with Asus support from a link within the router webpage and I never, ever, got a response.

AHD Advantages:

• Great looking device!
    • The LCD screen provides some basic info so you can find out what's happening without having to look any further. I have mine on the one that shows up/down traffic
    • FIXED ALL ASUS ISSUES ABOVE!!!! All of them! All of them!
    • Been running for 1 month without any crashes. None. Not one.
    • I can now determine via the Android app what is taking bandwidth
    • The Android app is an excellent way to administrate the router
    • There is actually a support team you can speak with! Imagine that?! With a "big company" router, they are corporations without a front door. In my case, I couldn't even get Asus support to acknowledge a support request. In the first week with Amplifi HD, I actually SPOKE with someone in support. Woooohoooo!
    • Great forums. I just love the forums. A good place to learn about Amplifi. That said, there is a bit too much complaining and many of the specific complaints are voiced louder than they need to be. If you think you've got a "serious issue", get one of the "big company" routers and you'll hug your Amplifi HD router until it's flat.

How could Amplifi HD be even better?

• The "ISP Test" simply doesn't work. As a matter of fact, when I first got it set up, I was greatly alarmed with the results and thought I had a major problem. It just doesn't work well. I typically get a result that is 10-20% of what speedtest.net returns.
    • Perhaps I am mistaken but I don't think the Amplifi HD has a seperate 5ghz antenna for the backhaul? If not, that would certainly be nice. I I'm wrong about that, someone please let me know.
    • When first set up, the DHCP subnet mask should probably default to 192.168.x.x since many of the "big company" routers use that scheme. When I first got Amplifi HD set up, I couldn't figure out why I couldn't access my Synology NASs, Webcams, etc. DOH! They were all set to static IP addresses within the 192.168.x.x IP scheme. Once I changed that in the app, everything started working again. I could figure that out, but for some, that might be a major frustrating mystery.

• @david-miller Thanks for sharing your story and for being part of the AmpliFi family!

• @david-miller Thank you so much for the feedback and this amazing story!

I did want to answer the questions you had in regards to how we can make the AmpliFi-HD product even better.

• We do know about the speed test issues and we are working to get that updated.

• AmpliFi HD does not have a separate 5ghz antenna for backhaul, it shares the same radio for communications as the clients do. If you use the Ethernet Backhaul feature, then wifi bandwidth will not be shared.

• Our default subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0, and preselected is the id of 192.168.1.X so there is a slight variation in that configuration since we have 3 octets set to identify the network.

Thank you again for this story and adding even more value to our community.

• @david-miller Thanks for posting this. I'm about to do the same thing for the same reasons as you. My AC5300 is not quite cutting it. I even bought another Asus router and tried to work AIMesh, but it's a nightmare. It's "SmartConnect" feature is anything but. My IoT devices keep losing connection. Roaming with my iphone doesn't work. I have 450Mbps internet service and I get 2Mbps while I'm in the basement at about 30 feet from the AC5300 because it keeps trying to connect to the one 2 floors up on the opposite side of the house. Looking forward to the move to Amplifi.