My excellent journey from an Asus RT-AC5300 to Amplifi HD

• I wanted to post about my great experience with Amplifi HD coming from an Asus RT-AC5300 (near top-of-the line Asus router).

To begin, I've been running the Amplifi HD for a month now and couldn't be happier. I purchased the package that came with two mesh points and from reading in the forum, I found out that each mesh point divides the traffic. I did some research and noticed that one of my mesh points only had a couple of devices connected to it so I repositioned the other and just am running one mesh point now. Works very well!

Why did I switch from the Asus RT-AC5300 to the Asus RT-AC5300? Well, let's talk about what is running my environment.

My environment:

• 2 Synology NAS (one acts as a backup to the other)
      • Lots of media streaming in the house (music, video, etc)
    • 8 HD Webcams
    • 1 PS4
      • Heavily used for gaming
    • 1 XBox One
    • 1 Xbox 360
    • 9 Android smartphones/tablets
    • 1 Boxee Box
      • Heaving used for streaming media each evening
    • 1 WDLiveTV
    • 3 Google Home
    • 1 Chamberlain HQ garage door
    • 3 PC/Laptops
      • 1 is heavily used for gaming
    • 2 Digital Thermostats
    • 1 Epson printer
    • 2 Chromecasts

So, all-in-all, the "big traffic" is in the evening when the PS4 and PC are both being used for gaming while I stream content from my Synology NAS to my Boxee Box. The Amplifi HD router does it without breaking a sweat? What was life like with the Asus router?

Asus Issues:

• 5ghz dropped for 30-45 minutes at a time every few days when my son was gaming on his PC
    • Router could not broadcast 5ghz to the other end of the house
    • All three PC/Laptops could not "fully open" backup via Acronis backup without crashing the network. I had to arbitrarily set a max-bandwidth setting in Acronis to limit outgoing traffic from each PC.
    • A few times during the week, my Boxee Box would start buffering while streaming. Grrrrrrr.
    • Chamberlain HQ garage door connection was a nightmare. It's beyond this post what I had to do to get Asus connect to the Asus RT-AC5300. I finally found the right combination and could get it to happen but it was just crazy difficult.
    • Cannot get in touch with Asus support - they don't even respond. Tried several times to get in touch with Asus support from a link within the router webpage and I never, ever, got a response.

AHD Advantages:

• Great looking device!
    • The LCD screen provides some basic info so you can find out what's happening without having to look any further. I have mine on the one that shows up/down traffic
    • FIXED ALL ASUS ISSUES ABOVE!!!! All of them! All of them!
    • Been running for 1 month without any crashes. None. Not one.
    • I can now determine via the Android app what is taking bandwidth
    • The Android app is an excellent way to administrate the router
    • There is actually a support team you can speak with! Imagine that?! With a "big company" router, they are corporations without a front door. In my case, I couldn't even get Asus support to acknowledge a support request. In the first week with Amplifi HD, I actually SPOKE with someone in support. Woooohoooo!
    • Great forums. I just love the forums. A good place to learn about Amplifi. That said, there is a bit too much complaining and many of the specific complaints are voiced louder than they need to be. If you think you've got a "serious issue", get one of the "big company" routers and you'll hug your Amplifi HD router until it's flat.

How could Amplifi HD be even better?

• The "ISP Test" simply doesn't work. As a matter of fact, when I first got it set up, I was greatly alarmed with the results and thought I had a major problem. It just doesn't work well. I typically get a result that is 10-20% of what speedtest.net returns.
    • Perhaps I am mistaken but I don't think the Amplifi HD has a seperate 5ghz antenna for the backhaul? If not, that would certainly be nice. I I'm wrong about that, someone please let me know.
    • When first set up, the DHCP subnet mask should probably default to 192.168.x.x since many of the "big company" routers use that scheme. When I first got Amplifi HD set up, I couldn't figure out why I couldn't access my Synology NASs, Webcams, etc. DOH! They were all set to static IP addresses within the 192.168.x.x IP scheme. Once I changed that in the app, everything started working again. I could figure that out, but for some, that might be a major frustrating mystery.

• @david-miller Thanks for sharing your story and for being part of the AmpliFi family!

• @david-miller Thank you so much for the feedback and this amazing story!

I did want to answer the questions you had in regards to how we can make the AmpliFi-HD product even better.

• We do know about the speed test issues and we are working to get that updated.

• AmpliFi HD does not have a separate 5ghz antenna for backhaul, it shares the same radio for communications as the clients do. If you use the Ethernet Backhaul feature, then wifi bandwidth will not be shared.

• Our default subnet mask is set to 255.255.255.0, and preselected is the id of 192.168.1.X so there is a slight variation in that configuration since we have 3 octets set to identify the network.

Thank you again for this story and adding even more value to our community.

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.