Not able to add a new mesh point.

• @rick-owen @Derek-Saville:

A few thoughts of mine:

1. You are absolutely right. This is a major limitation and they should be much more up-front & obvious about this to avoid this customer frustration. I've had this frustration as well as watched countless other people also experience this frustration. This is something they could easily avoid for most of us.
    2. This is a limitation that won't affect most people. This is also a limitation that would confuse many people and might drive them away. So here is "a justification" for the decision, even if it's not a good one in my opinion.
    3. All technical products have limitations that aren't obvious. And this limitation is pretty well documented if you start reading reviews of the AmpliFi setup (this wasn't always the case when the product was first released, but it has been well-known for quite a while now). If you're an IT person, then you know that you should research any networking product before your purchase it. Said research should have uncovered this limitation.
    4. If you're making a $300 IT purchase, you should also make sure that you can return the product. If that's the case, then this really shouldn't be that big of a deal. Just return it and buy the stand-alone add-ons.

Ultimately, as I said before, I think you're absolutely right that this is a bad thing to do. However, it is a justifiable thing to do as well, even if you disagree with that justification being sufficient. There is no "legal requirement" for them to make 2 kits compatible because they have never claimed that they were compatible. I mean, can you buy two Toyota Camry vehicles and connect them together for a larger, more powerful vehicle? Of course not, because that's absurd. But Toyota also never claim that you can to begin with in much the same way that Ubiquiti has never claimed 2 kits could be hooked together for a larger network. That's just an assumed behavior. And while it's disappointing that the assumption is wrong (akin to how the USB port on the device cannot have a printer or HDD hooked up to it), that does not make it illegal.

I hope this helps a bit. I feel your frustration, but it's no more a legal obligation for them than it is for Toyota.

• @shane-milton

Well no, your quite simply wrong on this matter. First of all, no one would ever expect to pair two cars together, so I am not even sure what your point is. A more accurate analogy would be that Toyota would offer you a discount if you were to buy two cars, but fail to tell you that the two cars at discount were 4 cyl, when the stand-alone car was 6 cyl. They most certainly would need to disclose the differences between the cars.

Not even sure why you bring up the IT person debate, this is a product marketed for home use. As such completely irrelevant.

And no, it's not justifiable. Is false and misleading marketing. You have a stand
    alone product, the mesh point. You have another stand alone product, the router. Descriptions are made of each stand alone product individually, in the case of the mesh points, they are to connect to any amplifi router. PERIOD!

You then market a kit. The product description of the kit claims that it contains two mesh points and one router. PERIOD.

AmpliFi Mesh Wi-Fi System
    Includes a router base station and two wireless super mesh points for maximum Wi-Fi coverage throughout your home.

NO MENTION IS MADE THAT THE MESH POINTS IN THE KIT DIFFER FROM THE STAND ALONE MESH POINTS. Without this differentiation, this is a clear example of bait and switch, a practice that is not legal. I don't understand why this is so hard to understand.

• @rick-owen I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then.

Have a good day!

• @rick-owen said

Includes a router base station and two wireless super mesh points for maximum Wi-Fi coverage throughout your home.

That's correct, the System includes "a router..." (note the generic lower case usage)
    "...and two wireless super mesh points" (note again the generic lower case usage)

It does not say the System includes an 'AmpliFi HD Mesh Router' (note the HD designation and capitalized product name) sold separately or two 'AmpliFi MeshPoint HD's (note again the capitalized product name and HD designation) also sold separately

I personally have only seen the systems marketed as 'enhanced ease of use kits', and never as 'bundles' of stand-alone products.

I hope that explains why some have a different understanding

• Seriously dude, stop already!!! A click on the "learn more" tab take you to this

$340.00

The AmpliFi™ HD (High Density) System includes a router base station and two wireless super mesh points for maximum Wi-Fi coverage throughout your home provides maximum wireless performance in an innovative and elegant design.

The HD Kit provides maximum wireless performance in an innovative and elegant design.

The router includes a smart LCD screen and the mesh points display wireless signal performance.

A mobile app is available for iOS and Android™ platforms for instant setup and easy management.

the only thing your explaining is that you are grasping at straws.

LOL, so the HD kit doesn't include an HD router or HD mesh points, even though they use the term HD kit and look identical. Yeah, ok.

• Seriously dude - I'm not grasping at anything...just consider this early prep for your court case
    We are trying to help you out here!

You indicate that the router included in the AFi-HD - HD AmpliFi kit is visually identical to the AFi-R - Standalone HD Router correct?
    So the labeling and model M/N designation on the underside is exactly the same correct?

Same for the mesh points - the labeling and M/N designation in the kit is exactly the same as the AFi-P-HD - Standalone HD Mesh Point?

Then you just need to convince a small claims court judge that components of a 'kit' with the same model designations as stand-alone products must be be identical in hardware, firmware, function, and unaltered in any way, even though they are marketed with enhanced ease-of-use functionality

My advice would be submitting a copy of the AmpliFi Datasheet to the judge, which although it does distinguish the 3 separate products (AFI-HD, AFI-R & AFI-P-HD), probably most strongly implies parity and can cause confusion by combining them in a single "technical document" versus marketing communication.

And AmpliFi probably wouldn't bother to show up as long as you aren't filing somewhere local to them...

• @derek-saville

Derek Derik Derik

This is what you said:
    "It does not say the System includes an 'AmpliFi HD Mesh Router' (note the HD designation and capitalized product name) sold separately or two 'AmpliFi MeshPoint HD's (note again the capitalized product name and HD designation) also sold separately"

This is what they advertise:

The AmpliFi HD (High Density) System includes a router base station and two wireless super mesh points for maximum Wi-Fi coverage throughout your home provides maximum wireless performance in an innovative and elegant design.

Come on man.........

• @rick-owen

The product designation AFI-HD includes exactly what it states... a router and two wireless super mesh points, so you got exactly what you paid for

There is no case law that states the components of one product (AFI-HD) must be comprised of identical components that are sold separately (AFI-R & AFI-P-HD)

While there is unanimous agreement that AmpliFi should have done better to avoid the confusion, they haven't broken any laws from any marketing communication that has been presented so far

If you feel strongly that you were wronged, you should contact your local FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection

• @derek-saville

It's possible to add an aditional mesh point from my home kit that I don't need to my fathers home kit ?

If yes how can I config that ?

Thanks

• Hi @renato-oliveira - unfortunately no, that is the restriction that everyone complains about

Mesh points from kits are hard locked to their routers and cannot be transferred to other kits or routers

The reason, like it or not, is simplicity of setup - with kits you just plug in the mesh points and they work automatically with their router because of the lock and no additional setup is required

• So how do I extend the range of my fathers home kit ?
    It's a very big house and with concrete walls and mesh points need to be closer.

Removed my unifi AP's but think that I need to go back to them!

Thanks

• Hi @renato-oliveira - any standalone AmpliFi device can be added to a kit system as an additional mesh point:

• HD Router
    • MeshPoint HD
    • Instant Router

HD & Instant routers can also utilize wired Ethernet backhaul

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.