Some basic information about teleport

• I am using it for the past month and half ( totally 6 times) When I received original pack it was too difficult to setup and update Now update is very simple.( nice improvement) I am not very happy about the upload and down load speed I am getting. The Wifi source am connecting to using Teleport ranges from 40 to 120 MbPs download 12 to 120 Mbps upload . My home network with Amplifi router is 75 Mbps download and 10 Mbps upload. But I always get 5 to 6 Mbps download and 4 to 5 Mbps upload from the device that is connected to Teleport. I am not sure if there is way to improve

• @subramanian-lakshmanan We're working on an update that will improve throughput by changing the underlying VPN mechanism. Should be around 3x difference if your connection can support it. That said, current firmware should produce speeds of up to 15-20 Mbps, so either something else is putting a load on the router or the network between the two is quite unreliable.

Otherwise the bottleneck is your home internet connection upload speed, which limits Teleport upload (because data is uploaded to the internet from home) and download (because data is uploaded to Teleport from home) to 10 Mbps.

• @ubnt-gunars
    Hi my home download is 70 to 75 Mbps I tested 100 rds of times. I also checked the Wifi connection speed ( the parent wifi the Teleport is connecting ) with a phone or tablet wifi speed check. I like to see a download (as the upload is near 50% of home I am not too worried) of 25 to 30 Mbps as I am planning for a 2 months trip to India and Europe in May, June .

• @subramanian-lakshmanan The problem is your home upload speed of 10 Mbps.

1. when Teleport is downloading data, home router is uploading it to Teleport
    2. when Teleport is uploading data, home router is uploading it on Teleport's behalf

So whatever you do on Teleport it is limited by the lesser of download and upload speeds on the home internet connection. If your home download speed was 1000 Mbps but upload was only 1 Mbps, your download speed on Teleport would be 1 Mbps. Its upload speed would also be just 1 Mbps.

• @ubnt-gunars
    For #2, I believe you meant "when Teleport is uploading data, home router is dowloading it on Teleport's behalf"

All in all, the download speed of the teleport is limited to the lesser of router upload speed and Wifi download speed the teleport is on. Vice versa, the upload speed of the teleport is limited to the lesser of the router's download speed and the Wifi upload speed the teleport is on.

Not reaching the full speed of the lesser speed (10 Mbps in this case) is due to the VPN encryption which adds overhead to the connection. I've tried inquiring many times on forum and agent chat, but yet to get clarification on the type of protocol or encryption bits the Teleport is utilizing. My biggest concern is the usage of low level encryption to improve speed, such as changing 256bit encryption to 64bit encryption, etc.

• @jun-wai-lee Hi Jun!

I believe you meant "when Teleport is uploading data, home router is dowloading it on Teleport's behalf"

No. When Teleport uploads data, the home router has to upload it to the internet on Teleport's behalf. This is to illustrate that upload is used no matter what you do on Teleport.

All in all, the download speed of the teleport is limited to the lesser of router upload speed and Wifi download speed the teleport is on.

It's also limited by the download speed of the home router because it's downloading data that the Teleport needs.

I've tried inquiring many times on forum and agent chat, but yet to get clarification on the type of protocol or encryption bits the Teleport is utilizing. My biggest concern is the usage of low level encryption to improve speed, such as changing 256bit encryption to 64bit encryption, etc.

The way we'll be improving speed in the upcoming update is not by reducing encryption, but by switching from a user space to a kernel space VPN solution.

• @ubnt-gunars said in Some basic information about teleport:

I believe you meant "when Teleport is uploading data, home router is dowloading it on Teleport's behalf"

No. When Teleport uploads data, the home router has to upload it to the internet on Teleport's behalf. This is to illustrate that upload is used no matter what you do on Teleport.

Wouldn't it be both? Home router is downloading from the teleport and then uploading to the speed test site?

This doesn't negate your comment, just clarifying that it's simultaneously downloading and uploading at the same time. So everything you do on a computer connected to the teleport, whether it's uploading to the internet or downloadin to the internet, relies on both upload and download speeds at the Amplifi router side. The only time it wouldn't would be if you had an endpoint connected to the Amplifi to test with.

• @maj170123 yes, that is correct.

• Based on the information provided by Gunars the Upload speed and down load are controlled by the Speeds of the home net work as well as the connected network. Most of the time my Home network clock 70 Mbps download and 7.5 Mbps upload. So wherever try my Teleport ( in my office I have around 125 Mbps download as well as upload minimum) I still get 5 to 6 Mbps upload in teleport and same down load. So both the speed are controlled by my home network upload speed of 7.5 Mbps. This should happen to most of the users as most cable copany provide high download and and slow download roughly 10 % of download speed. I like to get feed back from the teleport user whether they get the same speed like I see

• @subramanian-lakshmanan - I am getting poor Teleport performance that I don't fully understand yet:

Home USA network (cable) = 280 Mbps down / 12 Mbps up
    Remote overseas network (cable) = 75 Mbps down / 4 Mbps up
    Teleport via WiFi to WAN router @ remote network = 1.7 Mbps down / 0.8 Mbps up

At both locations, my cable modem speeds are right on the advertised speeds for what I am paying for.
    The tests are using DSL Reports website.

The Teleport speed is unusable for streaming video as-is, even low quality video pauses for buffering.

I have also tried using an Ethernet connection from the Teleport to the router and Ethernet from Teleport to my laptop, and there is no improvement.

• @derek-saville What results do you get with the remote overseas network when the speed test server is selected near your home router? I have a symmetrical gigabit connection at home, but my upload speed to Beijing is only 1.87 Mbps. This means that if my Teleport were in Beijing and was connected to the same infrastructure as the testing server, I'd only get 1.87 Mbps down, even if the Teleport connection was symmetrical gigabit too.

• Hi @ubnt-gunars - My remote network is in Japan and my home network is northern California, Bay Area - Comcast with a very consistent 12 Mbps upload.

I just did multiple DSL Reports Speed Tests, selecting San Jose, Fremont & San Francisco servers

On my laptop, via WiFi connected to the router, from Japan I get 42 Mbps down / 2.5 Mbps up.

Running the same tests on my laptop, to the same California servers, connected via WiFi through the Teleport in Japan I get 2 Mbps down / 0.34 Mbps up.

Just doesn't seem right...

PS - I have tried both hard wiring Teleport to the router via Ethernet, and hard wiring my laptop to the Teleport via Ethernet, in order to eliminate one WiFi connection on either side, and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

• @derek-saville

I just did multiple DSL Reports Speed Tests, selecting San Jose, Fremont & San Francisco servers
    On my laptop, via WiFi connected to the router, from Japan I get 42 Mbps down / 2.5 Mbps up.

I'm assuming these tests were run from Japan. The most likely explanation is that the ISP used by the speed test servers has better throughput to Japan than Comcast at your home. The only direct comparison would be testing speed to your home network without Teleport.

• Thank you @ubnt-gunars - noted.
    I will run some tests from the home network to servers in Japan and check the results.

For comparison, I have been doing expat video streaming for over 15 years, including SlingBox HD from the same home network to Europe and Asia.
    With the SlingBox, a 4+ Mbps HD stream was no problem from home to this same location and network in Japan.
    But a SlingBox doesn't have the Teleport's VPN overhead.

Before geo-blocking, VPN service from California servers were also no problem for US Netflix to Japan, but that wasn't necessarily true HD quality, and the experience was very good, likely helped by their buffering.

Right now, Xfinity Stream is unwatchable though the Teleport, with low video quality, constant sound drops, and constant pausing.
    I haven't resigned up for Netflix and Hulu yet, as I wanted to see how Xfinity worked first.

• @derek-saville We are working on an update that should speed up video traffic specifically, and reduce network overhead in general. It should triple maximum throughput for Teleport as well.

• Hi @ubnt-gunars - I just had multiple DSL Reports Speed Tests run from the California home network to the servers in Tokyo, Japan and recorded 276 Mbps Down and 16 Mbps Up.

Turning on the Xfinity Stream app through the Teleport from Japan and watching the bandwidth meters in the AmpliFi app, it struggles to maintain a constant 0.8 Mbps.

In California there is a single HD router (from Teleport kit) in bridge mode to a Comcast Xfinity X1 cable modem / router.
    In Japan there is a single HD router in bridge mode to a Broad Net Mux cable modem / router and the Teleport connected via WiFi at 5Ghz.
    All 3 devices updated to firmware 2.6.2.

• @derek-saville Interesting. It's still not a direct comparison, but does suggest protocol overhead. All UDP traffic is currently wrapped in TCP, which could as well be the reason for the numbers you're seeing. The update that addresses this should land in beta within the next two weeks.

• @ubnt-gunars I will test after the Beta update and inform. If the down load speed of the Teleport is limited by the smallest the 4 speeds namely 1. Download speed of the home net work 2 Down load speed of the home network 3 down load speed of the remote ( in which Teleport is connected) network 4 Upload speed of the remote network than chances of exceeding 10 Mbps download is not possible as most of the home network upload speed is with in 10 Mbps unless you go for high cost business connection

• Hi @subramanian-lakshmanan, my understanding is the speed depends on what you are trying to do / what the Teleport is trying to communicate with.

• Sending information from your Home network to the Teleport is limited to the lesser of your Home network Upload speed or your Remote network Download speed (i.e. copying a file from a home server to a remote device)
    • Sending information from Teleport to your Home network is limited to the lesser of your Remote network Upload speed or your Home network Download speed (i.e. copying a file from a remote device to your home server)
    • Receiving Internet data to the Teleport is limited to lesser of your Home network Download Speed, Home network Upload speed or your Remote network Download speed (i.e. viewing a web page or online video)
    • Sending Internet data from the Teleport is limited to the lesser of your Remote network Upload speed, Home network Download speed or your Home network Upload speed (i.e. uploading a file from a remote device to an online cloud account)

Is that correct @UBNT-Gunars ?

So the Remote network Upload speed isn't always a limiting a factor when your primary usage is receiving data, like video streaming.

• @subramanian-lakshmanan Teleport's upstream network upload doesn't matter for download speeds, but otherwise you are correct. 10 Mbps upload on the home connection is good for streaming 1080p video to Teleport.

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.