EdgeRouter behind an AmpliFi Network - any suggestions?

• Hi all!

I'm considering building a "home work network" behind my AmpliFi network with a few devices. Here's what I'm considering for my network topology:

Cable Modem
    AmpliFi Network:

• AFi-R Router
    • 2x AFi-R devices with wireless backhaul providing remote ethernet ports for TV equipment
    • 1x AFi-R at far end of house with ethernet backhaul
    • 1x Meshpoint covering the back yard
    • 1x Teleport paired with this network for VPN while traveling (more for security & convenience, less for work)

Edge Router Work Network (with EdgeRouter behind the AmpliFi):

• EdgeRouter as the firewall for a small wired-only work network
    • A few workstations
    • A ZeroTier Edge device to provide site-to-site VPN bridging with a second similar private "home work network" (Note: This provides me my remote work VPN if/when needed. We already use ZeroTier very successfully and it offers some great "it just works" conveniences for us that I don't really want to move on from.)

I'm doing this because I'd really like to isolate my work network a bit more than I already have. And I get that the EdgeRouter will be at the mercy of the AmpliFi router, but I think that's okay. I don't host any crazy services out of my house where custom port forwarding rules will be a pain to double-manage. Honestly, if the AmpliFi router firmware supported custom VLANs, then I think I could even use that instead of the EdgeRouter, but that's just not an option currently.

Does anybody see any issues/problems with a setup like this? I think it should theoretically work but I'm not quite a networking pro so would appreciate critique from those who are!

• @shane-milton

I have a Cisco 800 Series Router behind my Amplifi for my home office config. No problems. It is substantially more reliable and stable than the Amplifi. I have to reboot Amplifi once a week. I reboot the Cisco 800 once every few months.

• @brian-hageman Aside from any port forwarding, have you found any restrictions or requirements for this setup? No additional complications by the additional NAT layers?

• @brian-hageman hi Brian! Can you tell us more about why do you need to restart your AmpliFi every month?

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.