Guest WLAN in Bridge Mode

• You can also just make a short between the WAN port on your AMPLIFI and the LAN port. This is more easy as two cables to your main Router/Bridge.

• @frank-voogel Wait, what? Just literally connect a cable between the WAN port and a LAN port on the router?

• Interesting ... so connecting the Internet to LAN and the WAN to LAN in the unit?

• Picked up amplifi today and just learned that you cannot have guest network in bridge mode. This is critical missing feature specially if you have a different router (pfsense in my case) and you want wifi to be in bridge mode. Is there anyway to get this feature. Debating to return this and try out other mesh system. Apple Airport had this feature for years.

• Yes, a VLAN’d guest network in bridge mode is really needed!

Seems like most of the pieces are there just need to allow the built in DHCP server access to the guest VLAN in bridge mode and automagically set appropriate iptable rules to allow the VLAN Internet access. Quite easy with Tomato or DD-WRT to set up. I get the consumer easiness interface, but all you would need is a subset under guest network on...to enable DHCP for the guest VLAN.

Since this has asked for awhile now, I’m thinking there may be an unlying issue with the power of the AMPLIFI HD’s CPU? There’s no denying in bridge mode it handles WiFi exceptionally well. However, using it as my primary router I noticed MOCA streaming issues of stutter and buffering when stream VOD over two boxes. One box no issue. Second box started after, not good. Using Fios Router to route, no VOD issues with MOCA. Need to dig into that particular issue more but overall I saw speed drops across all devices (wired and wireless) with AMPLIFI as the primary router. That really worries me the CPU is struggling.

• @tom-hutchison Thank you for your suggestion! I will add it to the list of feature requests for future consideration.

• I agree, I am currently looking for a new home mesh wifi system and Amplifi was my main choice until I read the forums about the limited access once in bridge mode. FIOS requires the router to be in bridge mode, so in that case if Amplifi does not have a solution for this I will need to go with a competitor like Google Wifi.

Below is the update I received from the Amplifi Representative on January 8th 2019

When you enable the option for bridge mode in the AmpliFi router using the AmpliFi app.
    You will lose features like:
    Guest SSID, QoS, Static IP, Port forwarding and Parental controls.
    There are no updates on this if they will ever be implemented or not. As we have already forwarded this to the development team.

Very disappointed in Amplifi

• @felicia-ramkissoon Google Wifi does not support neither guest networks nor mesh networks in bridge mode, see https://support.google.com/wifi/answer/6240987?hl=en

It's very good news that Unify has added this as a feature request - do not be disappointed!

Has someone else tried the workaround on the previous page? I am very keen to get Amplify, but as others I prefer to run it in bridge mode with guest network.

• @felicia-ramkissoon Consider the most recent release of Samsung SmartThings Wi-Fi. Great implementation of guest mode in bridge mode via the Plume app with options of guest access to certain devices as needed. Very stable Wi-Fi with excellent throughput.
    https://www.samsung.com/us/smart-home/smartthings-wifi/

• @stefan-du-toit - does Samsung allow VLAN on the guest network in bridge mode?

• This post is deleted!

• @ubnt-jt

• So the first acknowledgement of this Feature Request, created ~1 year ago, was January 2019? Seems like a long time.

If anyone has tried the "guest's" suggestion 11 mo ago OR know of other work-arounds, let the community know.

I, like many of the other that have posted here, am looking for a competitor that offers this seemingly basic functionality.

• @ubnt-jt

Wow! It needed over one year, to put this on a feature request. That's smashing!
    I am curious how long it lasts to implement it.
    I wonder why so many suggestions and so much supporters for this subject have to wait so long time?

• I just picked up Unifi AP AC-Pro (Ubiquiti parent company of Amplifi's product). I am testing it. I must say AmpliFi HD has a really strong signal. In the place I would see 98% signal in wifi explorer with AmpliFi HD, AC-Pro is giving around 71%. That being said, I am getting similar speed around 240/250mbps on 300/300mbps ISP in the next room to the AP. AC-Pro coverage seems a little less though I just have 2 AP instead of AmpliFi HD comes with main router and 2 mesh points.
    AC-Pro does support guest/vlan ID. AC-Pro support upto 4 SSIDs, a lot of options to tinker with. I think AC-Pro is more design for offices and network enthusiasts, AmpliFi HD is designed for more consumers (plug and play). AC-Pro does require installing a controller on a computer to configure AP unlike AmpliFi HD can be configured on a phone app. Both devices have pros/cons.

I am testing for couple more days to see the stability of Unifi AC-Pro and right now it seems stable, I might return AmpliFi HD. I really like the coverage of AmpliFi HD, aesthetics and ease of use though network security, separating traffic is more important to me than just raw speed.

• @rishab-rana

As much as I liked Amplifi HD, and thanks for introducing me to Ubiquiti product line, I have switch over to Unifi AC-Pro. I have 3 AP, 4 SSIDS (1 internal Lan, 1 Guest, 1 IOTs, 1 cameras) with separate Vlan IDs and Vlan priority. I still think amplifi has a stronger signal or I might be doing something wrong in AC-Pro line though, AC-Pro is stable and as good as my experience with amplify HD.

Anyway, I felt like this product is more consumer focused product so I switch over and very happy with Unify AC-Pro.

• I have a multi-VLAN network and am using an EdgeRouter for all the L3, and a pre-existing AmpliFi HD for the wifi. I was running in bridge mode but discovered there was no guest wifi available, so I found this thread while looking for options. I'm pretty sure this is the validation that several other users have come here looking for:
    I did as @Frank-Voogel has suggested, and short the AmpliFi's WAN and LAN (so connected an ethernet cable between AmpliFI's WAN and one of AmpliFI's LAN ports) and then use another ethernet cable to connect the AmpliFi LAN to your existing router/switch/network.
    I wanted DHCP handled by my main DHCP server, so the 'usual' trick of setting the AmpliFi's DHCP server pool size to be 1 address, and then adding a static reservation for that 1 address, effectively disables it.
    My network ends up looking like:

172.16.10.1 << real router
    172.16.10.10 << amplifi 'internet' address (static or dhcp from real router)
    172.16.10.100 << wifi client, connected to amplifi but dhcp from real router

My AmpliFi has it's 'LAN' set to 192.168.10.1/24, with dhcp scope set to 192.168.10.254-254.
    AFAICT, you need to use the AmpliFi app to configure the DHCP server, as the web interface doesn't seem to have many options.
    To administer the guest wifi or other AmpliFi settings, you may need to be disconnected from your home WiFi, running the AmpliFi app over the remote access connectivity, or you may need to connect your device to your WiFi, manually configure your IP to be in your AmpliFi's 'LAN' network and then you can access the management interface from the 'inside' again. Trying to access the 'Internet' IP of the AmpliFi from the 'Internet' side of the device is denied by its firewall (I think), which isn't obviously configurable.
    This would be a little neater by just ditching the AmpliFi and upgrading to UAC APs, but the reasons the management inconvenience is worth it to me:
    -i use my amplifi screen in the speedo mode all the time and am happy to just be monitoring the throughput of my WiFi devices
    -i bought the amplifi for the mesh networking functionality and am extremely pleased with this
    -to have guest wifi provided without having to add an additional device onto my network

• @chris-bidwell Thank you for this. Exactly what I needed. Works like a charm.