why Amplifi needs a google acct. or Facebook acct. for remote access

• I am looking for a technical reason why Amplifi needs a google acct. or Facebook acct. to make the remote function work.
    Amplifi does not have an official reason... in light of everyones concern about personal identity security they should get a clue...

• I'm confused. Did they previously claim that it was there for technical reasons and not as a design decision? I'm not quite sure what you're talking about here.

• @shane-milton - If you want to remotely connect to your network , say from your phone. Amplifi claims you have to sign in with a google acct or Facebook acct. . You cannot log in using a person email acct.

"To access the AmpliFi router outside the network you can either use Google/Facebook account and yes it is secure.
    Google and Facebook do not have any info about the router, all it is use this feature is just for logging in to our server to access the AmpliFi router from outside the network.
    All our server will store: (username from Google/Facebook), the IP of the router, and the MAC address of the router. nothing else about the system."

I again, ask why only google or facebook accounts?

• This was the second lame reply from Amplifi:

"If you need any further clarification, I would request you to post it on our AmpliFi community Forum on this link: https://community.amplifi.com/topic/316/call-for-feature-requests-1. The developers are always online on the Community and they will be able to clarify all your queries."

this link explains how to log in...not why we should give out info to Amplifi.

• A decision to allow remote access giving a choice of two popular existing saml implementations that already exist vs reinventing the wheel?

I mean truthfully Amplifi can be a system for everyone as it can be as simple or as complicated (getting there) as you want it. It is probably safe to assume the "easy to use crowd" probably has an account on one of the two.

Could they implement a different approach, probably, could you ask/vote for that as a feature request, probably. Does calling their responses lame help, probably not.

I don't necessarily like it either, I'd like for my wife to have access and to control that personally, but just have to look at things from both sides.

• @chris-ayers So is all of this just a round-about way for you to post on here to state that you want something besides Google and Facebook to be supported? I'm still not sure what you're really asking for. Would you be happy if they added Twitter? Or do you want them to integrate with your Active Directory server and to support that? Or do you want just a custom username and password to be added?

I'm still confused as to what you really want and why you're posting this. I'm not trying to argue with you, just understand you. If you can take a less aggressive approach and clearly state what you want to happen, I think that could help a lot! 🙂

P.S. I don't work with AmpliFi. I'm just an average Joe on here participating in a community.

• @shane-milton I don’t think he’s speaking in a round-about manner at all. A third authentication option is exactly what he’s asking for, and he’s right to do so; nobody has any good reason to trust either one of those authentication providers at this point, given the number of times they’ve both been caught with their hands in the cookie jar.

As far as “reinventing the wheel” goes, that’s a matter of perspective. The Facebook and Google methods are time-savers for many consumers, but the fact remains that a both companies’ primary revenue stream is derived from selling you to advertisers. For those who value their privacy over a moment’s convenience, a third, private option is worth the effort.

Furthermore, Ubiquiti already have created a robust cloud authentication model for their UniFi line of devices. They could certainly abstract and extend it to cover the Amplifi line as well, and given the aforementioned shift toward greater privacy concerns, it may be worth their time to do so.

Of course, that’s another option for you, Chris: dump the Amplifi gear, and order some UniFi devices instead. I’m very happy with my UniFi setup, and neither Facebook nor Google is involved in any way.

• @matthew-judy Let's say all of what you say is true. It's not, but let's still assume it is.

How is using a Google or Facebook login from this app adding any additional intrusion upon your privacy? What about using the OAuth2 protocol affects your privacy?

And exactly as you pointed out - if you want robust custom authentication options, you're buying the wrong product. Just get an UniFi setup, just as you said.

• @chris-ayers

+1 Supporting other people's Amplifi's (like customers) is difficult when our gmail account has to be the primary one setup to be remote. Sucks for them and us.

Looks like your connection to AmpliFi was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.